2021 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3’s Best Game of 2021: “All these worlds are yours. Except Europa. Attempt no landing there.”

Eh? Isn’t deck size locked?

I did??

Pretty sure you can upgrade cards instead of taking new ones, which makes deck size vary.

When you take a new one you have to replace an old one, unless I’ve missed something huge.

I can’t find references of it, although I’m certain you have been talking about it for years!
This is a conspiracy!

You may be right—I haven’t played in months. But I seem to recall being able to choose a new card or upgrade something. Maybe I’m misremembering.

Your base character deck is locked in size but that’s hardly your whole deck composition. Specifically, higher tier items always come with more cards and oftentimes not all cards you may want.

Stop making me intrigued about a deckbuilding game. I’m Dave, and I’ve stopped deckbuilding for nearly a year now.

RIght, duh, it’s been awhile since I played. That’s true, the equipment cards are (generally) more interesting than the “character decks.”

It’s more of a tactical combat game with a deck mechanic. It is NOT Spire-alike.

Let me just second Bruce on this, the tactical combat is the core of the game, the “deck building” is just the mechanic whereby skills are assigned and used.

And now I’m reinstalling, becuase clearly all those games I need to find time to play can wait for me to play another few hours of ToF.

I love that this is on here, but isn’t it a 2019 release? My review looks like it was posted on Feb 2020.

I’ll third that, and say it’s the most consistently interesting and engaging tactical combat in a game I can remember.

I didn’t get on with Trials of Fire, because it failed my ‘technical accessibility’ requirements.

The text was too small to comfortably read on my 4K screen, and using a lower res didn’t work because going into menus switched the game back to windowed mode for some reason!

It sure looked interesting for the brief time I tried playing it. :)

I have already added 6 games I had no idea existed (two of which seems to be huge RPGs, how could i miss them!) to my wishlist. And downloaded a freebie that had escaped me my attention too!
Solas128 seems to come out in two weeks on the switch, cool timing! I wonder how it’d control with a gamepad.

This is the greatest thread of recommendations indeed, right next to the twenty indie game ones with confusing names ;0

Whoops! Guess I’ll have to move it to the “new to me” category. Thanks for flagging that.

1. Psychonauts 2 Loved the game, the writing, difficulty, length, perfect! Never played the first one and platformers are not something I usually play. Being a keyboard mouse guy I play usually one controller game a year. This years was fantastic and Hades was last year which is also fantastic, this controller thing might catch on :)
  2. Solasta another very good game. I actually like the animations and how my characters looked, I thought it added charm. Game was solid and hopefully they can add to a solid base of a game.
  3. Urtuk: The Desolation solid game with lots of character. Very good turn based tactics. Came out of early access in February of this year
  4. Gloomhaven just starting to scratch the surface and I can see this rocketing up but need more time
  5. Old World wish i was smarter to truly gonk this game
  1. Disco Elysium: Final Cut - amazing RPG
  2. Old World - best/most important 4x since Civ IV
  3. Starmancer - interesting space builder
  4. Curious Expedition 2 - Update to my favorite exploration/expeditions game
  1. Hitman 3
  2. Subnautica: Below Zero
  3. Diablo II: Resurrected
  4. Quake Enhanced