20th Century Fox in talks to sell most of company to Disney

Nah. I can’t agree with that. The fact that Scott has lost his mind and Fox got caught up in stupid sequels that went down the rabbit hole of continuity doesn’t mean you can’t reboot and bring audiences back. I think there’s still a hunger for Aliens. The movies just can’t suck or go up its own ass with lore.

Here comes the “New Fox” company. Literally.

Every now and then, I have to grudgingly tip my hat to the Internet.

Is there a button for that?

$3.25 so far today.

Looks like I was wrong - per the Disney announcement:

Immediately prior to the acquisition, 21st Century Fox will separate the Fox Broadcasting network and stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, FS1, FS2 and Big Ten Network into a newly listed company that will be spun off to its shareholders.

How will Disney’s brand be affected by their new affiliation with the Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda? I know the entities will be legally separate, but people will still associate them.

Lazy parents did this

I bet the female employees of Fox News are feeling just great right now.

I was thinking the same thing with regard to some of their network shows, like Justified or The Americans. Hate to see those sort of offerings get sanitized.

Just realized this will include The Simpsons too

Comcast has made a rival bid of GBP 22bn for Sky.

As much as I despise Comcast, I’d rather see them buy Sky than Rupert. He already owns too much of the British media (along with all of his other (Fox) flaws).

No argument here. And Britain’s landscape is much more competitive when it comes to the sorts of things that Comcast sucks at, so that’s less of a risk than its bid for Time Warner was.

I was confused when I saw that yesterday, because I thought Murdoch already owned Sky.

See this post.

Sky board switches support to Comcast bid

That would be quite the end around on ESPN and their current Formula One deal. A small part of the larger scope of this, but definitely not insignificant.

Speaking of TV mergers, this CBS/Viacom development seems mental. The board of CBS is suing the controlling shareholder of both companies to prevent it from forcing a merger it (the board) has rejected. Moreover, the board is trying to issue new voting shares to strip the controlling shareholder of said control. Never seen anything like it.

Disney and Fox are proceeding with their plan despite Comcast’s moves.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lachlan-murdoch-to-lead-new-fox-if-disney-deal-closes-1526492142

Slightly off topic, but I’d been wondering if the series that HBO had been advertising a lot lately called Succession was based on the Murdochs or not.

Apparently it’s not based solely on the Murdochs, but draws from other sources too to create a fictional family.