23rd Keystone Kops division attacks Iraq

Less smugly self-righteous than Politically Incorrect, though, which is always good. Then again, I’m not sure how you could be more smugly self-righteous than Bill Maher.

I HATE that Colin Quin guy, he’s so God damn unfunny, and his ackward pauses and monotone make me wanna punch him. I watched a bit the other night (anyone else think Wanda Sykes is hot? Anyone? Damn.) And I just couldn’t get by the whole ‘look how casual and politically incorrect we are!!’ posing.

I hate it when Jon Stewart steals my material. Bastard.

I did watch Tough Crowd because I’m a pretty big fan of Denis Leary. Frankly, I found the whole show pretty predictable and not particularly informed or funny. Most of the laughs seemed to be generated every time Colin Quinn messed up his lines and laughed at himself. Whee. That’s nutty. I do agree with the previous poster that most of the comics, and Leary in particular, just seemed to want to riff in the crassest, most offhandedly brutal, way possible. Since they couldn’t think of anything humorous to say it was almost as if nervous laughter was the next best thing. Yeah, that’s his style and it’s possible the Budweiser, red meat, and Marlboro demographic found it pretty hilarious but as a card-carrying member of the Budweiser, red meat and Marlboro demographic, I was less impressed. It’s almost as if Leary can smell that his career is on the rocks and decided that belicose humor was the way to go - or he may have just gotten, understandibly, disgusted with the vocal protest movement. In any event, he’s smarter than he’s acting right now but if it rakes him in some bucks - good for him.

Another TV note. I saw a former Marine general on News Hour last night talking about how much ass we were going to kick and how airpower would be used to freeze movements in Baghdad so it would be easy to locate, contain and destroy units in the urban fighting. Then I remembered all the talk I’ve been hearing about Stalingrad II and I seemed to recall that tunnels and underground passages played a part in the original. If Saddam’s been anticipating this attack or at least massive aerial bombardments wouldn’t he have quite a network in place along with redundant and insulated systems? And then I remembered more reporting on the underground train system that was converted into an underground headquarters and network stretching throughout the city.

I’m starting to visualize Hussein as the gopher from Caddyshack…

That roundtable on the News Hour each night is the best I’ve seen. That one general you referred to was in the minority though, the other two were not so optimistic about fighting in Baghdad.

ugly ugly ugly