25% of Steam users on Win7 64-bit

You must not hang around in Dalaran. You need every bit of RAM you can get if you want to get out of slideshow territory during peak hours.

Uhhh… a lot of pre-built computers now come with Windows 7 64-bit? People skipped Vista and are finally upgrading their operating systems, but not their video cards or monitors?

Seriously this isn’t fucking hard science here. You were right about that, but you were wrong with the blanket statement that this is somehow compulsive behavior. Compulsive behavior would show a sharper trend towards upgrading to better video cards and higher resolution monitors. Apparently the average gamer is still deciding that 1280x1024 on a dual-core XP3 system is still enough for now.

Well frankly, there hasn’t been a popular PC exclusive that’s a serious hardware hog since Crysis. And a dual core with an 8800 on XP with 2gb at 1280x1024 will run Crysis acceptably. About the only PC exclusive that’s demanding hardware is Shattered Horizon, which is not exactly on everyone’s must buy list.

Steam, according to Stardock, represents 17% (and growing) of total PC sales. At what point do we stop pretending it doesn’t reflect gamers??

It’s you cro-magnons still running 32-bit OS’s on 64-bit hardware that are holding back games!

Down with 32-bit memory addressing limitations!

(this post is made in good humor so no offense to the less evolved on the forum)

Theory: Gamers who still had XP 32 had by that point 4 year old installs so bloated with keyloggers they couldn’t even browse facebook without having to restart IE twice. Since people were saying Win7 didn’t suck, they pirated a copy and installed that instead.

Windows 7 currently represents 5.71% of the Windows market, so I’d say this is a sign that gamer’s (not Steam users) are more likely to upgrade than non-gamers. But is that really a surprise?

Is that a memory issue for the computer or the graphics card? (I don’t play WoW, so I can honestly say it’s not a problem for me!)

I wonder how many of the Windows 7 systems are still running the release candidate?

Who’s selling Dirt 2 for $20?

It was the past weekend Steam sale.

Surely not - that’s huge… Do you have a link?

The Steam hardware survey is interesting, but now that it has decided that my Vista32 system is really running Windows 2000, my faith in it’s accuracy has decreased.

I have to say that Windows 2000 was a great operating system back in the day. Of course, it did follow Windows ME…

Based on everything I’ve heard, I am really wishing when I did the last clean install of Windows I went instead straight for Win 7 64bit. Scaremongering over apparent lack of compatibility got into my head.

It’s a very crowded little city with narrow streets and EVERYONE is hanging around there Alliance and Horde.
It’s the central hub of the newest expansion.

Doesn’t help that every other player character is pimped like the baddest sugar daddy (bling, bling) due to weapons / armor that glow in every colour of the rainbow…

My graphics card is screaming in pain every time I log into WoW these days (HD 4870). Some days it takes a minute until I see myself / other players and can start heading out from there.
It’s simply too much stuff to draw for the card.

Some people can’t even enter Dalaran anymore without disconnecting.
One of my guild friend always disconnected until he bought a new computer.

Unfortunately they seem to have since removed the PDF. I’ve reported the broken link to them so maybe they’ll fix it.

EDIT: Google cache has it though

Ergo, Steam holds 17.5% of the PC gaming market. Of course, this is all rough estimation but is the only figures I’ve seen on this subject made publicly available.

When even OEMs are beginning to ship 64-bit as standard, you know it’s time to move.

Well thing is there is no reason to not go 64 bit these days.
In the past it was tricky because of lack in drivers / software and you had to carefully consider it.
I had some trouble when I went with Windows 2003 Server 64bit here at work once 2 years ago to find working tools for certain things.
However the 2 Windows 7 machines (home and work) had no problems so far running anything.

The driver certification process changed with Vista, you can’t get WHQL without a 64-bit version of your driver. This is why it became a practical option, unlike XP and 2003 64-bit.

Exactly.
That’s why I advise everyone to go with 64 bit now.
Maybe you have to throw away your crappy scanner that is 10 years old but this is $50 well spent.

WOW!!
Care to elaborate ?