29 no-nos for gamers over age 30

Because I have done my fair share of this in the last week:

From http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000733067601/

“20. Try to win an argument in a gaming forum”

Ever use the jargon OMG, BBQ and WTF together in the same phrase

Whew! Good thing I am not 30 yet because I still giggle at that.

Also you know what? 90% of the people that responded to the post should be banned from both writing on the internet ever again and playing games over the internet.

OMG WTF TEAMKILLIN IS BAD?!?!!

Seriously.

Break mice in a fit of rage after being served in an FPS game

Replace FPS with Civ4 and you can put me in that category :{ Those warranties they try to sell you at the checkout stand are great for people like me.

Then all the replies are from dudes who go, “I’m not 30 yet and I thought rule x was lam3!”

:?

Fuck you “Joystiq.”

On some recent podcast I was listening to (I think it was the Gamers with Jobs one), one of the guys made me laugh when he said something about it being creepy when a dude pushing forty (or past it, like me) is hanging out with a couple of younger guys and “tries to sound cool by saying something like ‘that’s SICK’ and suddenly you can hear the crickets chirping.”

1. Play any game with Princess Toadstool in it

What?

Fuck you “Joystiq.”[/quote]

It could be worse, you could have gone with Skwirl Killa. I’d argue that using any leetspeak after 30 should be on there, but he did kind of cover that with numbers 4, 12, & 29. Yeah, Joystiq would qualify.

1. Drive the wrong way in a racing game.

I’m over 30 and still enjoy doing that from time to time. In fact, I think people over 30 might be more likely to do that, though not necessarily on purpose. Granted, that wasn’t part of the original list, but something from the peanut gallery.

What? No, I’m going the right way, you guys are all going backwards.

Sadly, the list starts losing its meaning, funny or otherwise, for gamers past 35; I don’t even know what some of the verbs – “bogart the controller, Hadoken someone” – mean.

I think I’m still pretty hip to the rad youth scene, though. Word up.

Reading the responses to that article made my head hurt. Talk about people with no sense of humour, as if anyone felt like reading their point-by-point retort to the article, whereby they gravely claim that they enjoy winning games played against minors. Sorry, ‘Kick ass against all players, no matter their age’. Rock on!!!

1. Get your gaming news from a print publication

Ouch?

Whew. Have to say that the only one this over-30 gamer falls under is #20: Try to win an argument in a gaming forum.

But now I miss Princess Toadstool. :cry:

8-bit Theatre (http://www.nuklearpower.com) - it’s the big “destroy everything” death beam spell that Black Mage casts every now and then.

“bogart” I sorta get from context, but someone else will have to provide the definition.

8-bit Theatre (http://www.nuklearpower.com) - it’s the big “destroy everything” death beam spell that Black Mage casts every now and then.

“bogart” I sorta get from context, but someone else will have to provide the definition.[/quote]

Uh, no. Hadoken is the fireball from streetfighter 2.

“Bogart” means “hog”. Umm. I think that’s stoner slang.

Ex: “Don’t bogart that doobie, dude,” said Spicolli.

Yes, Bogart started out as stoner slang. It’s a reference to Bogey always having a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. So, the implication is that you’re fucking up the rotation by imitating Bogart.

Damn, I was planning on doing something like this.

I saw a similar thing in Esquire while I was waiting to get my tires changed on my car. It was something like, “Things you shouldn’t do when you’re over 30.”

Is that #31? Claim you came up with something first? Or is that just #HRose?

Joystiq is the gaming version of Esquire. I mean they spelled Joytick with a ‘q’, very clever those guys.

etc

Surely you know “Don’t Bogart That Joint”, by Steppenwolf, right? Right? As performed by The Fraternity of Man for Easy Rider?

No.

Shit! I must be getting old.

Don’t bogart that joint, my friend
Pass it over to me.
Pass it over to me.

Roll another one
Just like the other one.
This one’s burnt to the end
Come on and be a friend.

Pass it over to me.