2K Games wants GaaS for every game

Borderlands 3 is clearly in development - Randy Pitchford isn’t coy about this.

Also: Borderlands 2 is GaaS if you consider how it worked with lots of post release support, free and paid DLC, those keys to unlock chests they frequently release on Twitter, etc.

Just like everything, there’s good GaaS and bad GaaS. GaaS as a concept isn’t inherently a bad thing and Ubisoft shows how amazingly good it can be.

Man I hope so. The Marvel movies are getting more and more fun, and so is Ubisoft. They actually take lessons learned and apply them to new games. It’s pretty neat!

Haha, yeah, differences of opinion make the world go round, i consider the marvel movie franchise every bit as imaginative and engaging as ubisoft games. ;)

what’s with the …? it’s no secret where the money comes from, I’m just not afraid to pay more to keep playing a game if I really like it and they keep adding new stuff that feels like it’s worth paying for. I think it’s people who are afraid to evolve with their hobby and encourage it and push it to go in subtle direction changes that are causing big issues. People reacted that way when f2p first started becoming a thing. Instead of encouraging good f2p practices, many people, especially around gaming sites like this one, simply balked at the very concept of f2p and thus missed opportunities they could have embraced which would have shaped f2p to something less predatory much earlier than ended up happening.

The notion that Ubisoft homogenizes everything is really weird to me.

• The Division and Ghost Recon are the only ones similar to each other as third-person open-world squad-based shooters. And even then they’re substantially different from one another
  • For Honor is a small-scope fighting game
  • Assassin’s Creed is a single-player story-based adventure game
  • Far Cry is a first-person open-world shooter series
  • The Crew is a racing series
  • Rainbow Six Siege is a small-scale tactical shooter

Watch Dogs blends a lot of the above, but then Watch Dogs 1 and 2 are completely different from one another too.

And then you have the more standalone games like Mario + Rabbids and South Park.

Honestly, Ubisoft is an example of doing so much right in the last few years. I love almost everything they’re doing.

I’ll leave you guys then to enjoy your ubisoft products and would only suggest you never venture outside this thread into the wider world where this love-fest is far from shared.

I honestly don’t care what that selection of people think?

Besides, their games sell extremely well and remain very popular or even increase in popularity over time. What data are you using? Because I’m explicitly looking outside of this thread: at player numbers and sales, for one.

And what specifically are you trying to say anyway? That I should hate Ubisoft because some vocal minority reflexively hates GaaS for unclear or inaccurate reasons?

Sales figures would seem to back our opinion. Ubisoft is handling GaaS in ways that the general audience likes.

True, same could obviously be said about marvel movie adaptions.

If the argument is they’ve found a good formula for reaching the masses you’ll get no argument from me.

Ok. Then why advise us not to venture into the “wider world” where our opinion isn’t shared? I think capturing the general audience is about as wider world as you can get.

Because there are plenty of folks who feel differently about ubisoft and don’t equate sales numbers to anything to do with quality.

Fair enough. If GaaS future for single player games is Ubisoft’s, I say bring it on.

Hitler sold a lot of books, too.

So are games art now?

Yeah I too don’t share in the hate for GaaS as a concept. It can be used in a way that seriously sucks, no doubt. And I kind of miss the days when you owned a thing, like a cartridge or disc, and you could pop it in years later and just play. But as others have noted, that’s the way the business is going. We can hop on the train or get left behind.

Games as a Service is just “the popular thing to hate” in certain internet circles which I personally don’t care about. And I’m sure most people who proclaim that they hate GaaS probably actually like or love a lot of GaaS games, and they just don’t want to admit that those games they like are examples of the definition.

Even comparing GaaS to “Marvel movies” as some pejorative doesn’t make sense. Running a game as a live service doesn’t imply anything about how mass market (or niche) it is. It’s just a mindset of continuing to work on one game for a long time instead of immediately jumping onto the sequel.

There’s lots of reasons you may dislike The Division, but it’s world is not bland or unimaginative or similar to a lot of other games.