3000 Years of Longing, George Miller's next movie

Finally had a chance to see this.

Same here: I liked the first part. I think it’s a mostly a script problem with the third act (note to screenwriters: if you devote the better part of an act to “… and then they were in a happy relationship for a bit,” then you need a rewrite. A long period of contentment might be soothing for the characters, but it’s boring to watch for the audience. It’s the opposite of drama. Condense that down to one scene or a montage.)

It’s also partly that Swinton and Miller, as enormously talented as they are, just aren’t the right fit for what is ultimately a romance. And it turns out Miller isn’t the right fit for a movie where a big chunk is a bunch of conventional dialogue in a room. The scenes showing the stories of far-off places soar, with great composition and a swooping camera. Then we cut back to the hotel room and it looks like a TV show. And not an HBO one.

But a lot of it it ultimately is due to it being based on a story by A.S. Byatt. The sort of 90s swooning-magic-realism-by-way-of-the-university-library academic lit fic the movie is based on works on the page (at least when the reader is of a likewise academic bent) but it’s much, much harder to pull off on the screen.

I saw this on the plane yesterday – which is not a great way to watch anything, let alone a movie with a lot of intricate dialog – and I find myself in agreement with most of the posters above. The first two-thirds of the movie was wonderful and seemed to be building up to something special… and then it just kind of petered out.

I’m sure there is an emotional arc to Alethia’s character that I’m not bright enough to get, but it just kind of ended with a dull thud.