-36*C in Toronto Tonight!

I have a marketing class at school from 6:30pm-9:30pm; just decided to skip it while plugging in the block heather in my car.

My fingers are white. I can’t even have a good smoke outside.

I’m moving to California or something when I’m done school.

Sure, if you’re ready to be taxed to death.

We just got slapped with a state tax to pay for Paid Family Leave. 1.18% of your pay up to $68,000.

Once again, the middle-class get’s reamed.

Hey, I’ve never even paid for a perscription or to see a doctor.

But the weather is nice. That’s how we get away with the “no smoking indoors” thing. I don’t know how they pulled it off in NY.

As of January 1, you can’t smoke within 20 feet of a door or operable window of a public building. See AB 846. I’m guessing next this will get extended to all buildings as workplaces.

Don’t you have some good winter clothing? I’m walking home now so I’ll give you my verdict on whether you’re a wimp or not… :D

Is there any place in Los Angeles that isn’t within 20 feet of a door or operable window of a public building?

That new tax sucks, Dirt, but I don’t think any Canadian would find taxes in the US, even California, to be high. Total US taxes are pretty far on the low end of the scale compared to other countries, and by a large margin in many cases.

There usually are big government programs paid for by the high taxes, like the medical program tromik refers to, or things very similar to the Paid Family Leave in CA. So there are good arguments about which is better, and for whom, but it’s very likely that any foreigner is going to consider your taxes low.

I have a down jacket, a thinsulate hat, glove, boots with Gor-Tex.

But the weather is nice. That’s how we get away with the “no smoking indoors” thing. I don’t know how they pulled it off in NY.[/quote]

By next year, you won’t be allowed to smoke in a BAR in Toronto. A BAR! That’s the last place left for indoor smoking.

Reading the law (and I’m not a lawyer, unlike , say, you), says that “public” is defined in this case as a school or government building.

Of course, you could me making a “big-government” dig.

+9C in Calgary at the moment. Yet another reason why Toronto sucks. :P ;)

Can someone explain to me what Paid Family Leave is, and why Californians would agree to be taxed for it?

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/projects/new_laws/story/8006016p-8942327c.html

Starting in July, workers can take up to six weeks’ paid leave to care for an ill family member or to bond with a new baby, adopted or foster child. They will receive 55 percent of their salary up to $728 a week.

Employees will pay for the benefit through payroll deductions. Beginning Jan. 1, most workers in the state will see 0.08 percent of wages taken out to pay for the program. The amount will be included in short-term disability insurance deduction.

Where did Dirt’s 1.18% thing come from?

Here’s a readable explanation:
http://lawzilla.com/content/ca-emp-1540.shtml

Agreed? There was no popular vote on this, it was imposed upon us by the California Legislature, signed by ex-Governor Davis. It takes a two-thirds vote of the Legislature for new taxes, but no popular vote.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/projects/new_laws/story/8006016p-8942327c.html

Starting in July, workers can take up to six weeks’ paid leave to care for an ill family member or to bond with a new baby, adopted or foster child. They will receive 55 percent of their salary up to $728 a week.

Employees will pay for the benefit through payroll deductions. Beginning Jan. 1, most workers in the state will see 0.08 percent of wages taken out to pay for the program. The amount will be included in short-term disability insurance deduction.

Where did Dirt’s 1.18% thing come from?[/quote]

D-oh! My bad. 1.18% is for total.

Yeah, you know you’ll never see any of that again! No one ever has family problems and needs to take leave…

Here’s a readable explanation:
http://lawzilla.com/content/ca-emp-1540.shtml

Agreed? There was no popular vote on this, it was imposed upon us by the California Legislature, signed by ex-Governor Davis. It takes a two-thirds vote of the Legislature for new taxes, but no popular vote.[/quote]

You’d prefer direct democracy, apparently? What, a two-thirds margin doesn’t cut it?

They will receive 55 percent of their salary up to $728 a week.

In Sweden, it seems to be 80% of the salary (or something similar, I don’t know what “sjukpenninggrundande inkomsten” is actually defined as).

Because what we need in CA is MORE freaking complicated things on the ballot.

Welcome to California. Allow me to introduce you to Proposition 218. Every lower branch of government (counties, cities, special districts) has to put taxes & most fees on the ballot. Why not the Legislature, too? Don’t forget we also have Proposition 13 controlling increases in property taxes, and that’s also within the State Constitution, which would require a general election to change.

There’s also a movement within the Legislature to reduce the tax increase vote requirement to 55%, which would allow the currently dominant party to approve new taxes without any votes from other parties.