360 Recommendations

I don’t own a Xbox or Xbox 360 yet but I plan to pick one up in a few years for cheap.

I have one must-have game recommendation though besides the ones mentioned:

Ninja Gaiden Black
It’s said to be very tough though but from playing it like 10 min somewhere once I totally want to have it. :)

The list price has dropped to $40 now.

But honestly, even at $60, Dead Rising is totally worth it. The game has a lot of replayability.

My Xbox 360 current top 3:

Earth Defence Force 2017
Viva Pinata
Dead Rising

Until Catan hit, my 360 was basically a Dead Rising / Viva Pinata machine. Once you get used to the wacky save system of Dead Rising (which really isn’t all that wacky), it’s a purely addictive experience. You’d think running around a mall full of zombies would get boring after a while, but it really doesn’t.

If you value story/atmosphere above gameplay in your RPGs, Jade Empire is well worth renting, maybe worth buying. I managed to like it quite a bit, on balance. But I can’t warn you about the combat and paper-thin RPG system enough.

Otherwise, uh, just get Dead Rising already. It has some RPG-ish elements in it, so maybe it’ll scratch that itch of your’s. Then you’ll notice that it’s totally f’n great in every other imaginable way and you’ll wonder how you ever called yourself a gamer before playing it.

Anyone played Bullet Witch? Since we’re discussing game reccomendations here, I thought I’d ask.

The demo isn’t really enough to appreciate the variety of the game. For example, I got about 2/3rds through the full game before I even thought about buying clothes.

It’s definitely $60 interesting–in fact, it’s one of the best 360 games to date. And as someone else pointed out, it’s down to $40 now.

I’ll throw out a recommendation for Table Tennis, which you can now get for $19.99. It’s Spartan as a single-player game, with no real campaign or career mode (just tournaments that you can play through at various difficulties), but the gameplay is fantastic–better than any of the tennis games, in my opinion. And it’s a great multiplayer game. (As someone–I think Jason Cross–said, “it’s the best fighting game on the 360”). Very much worth twenty bucks.

I enjoy Enchanted Arms, and it most certainly fills the JRPG itch I occasionally get. It isn’t the best RPG out there, but if you are looking for an RPG to fill the gap between you finishing Oblivion and MassEffect coming out, Enchanted Arms will suit the bill.

Dead Rising is really fun, but I couldn’t handle the “Could not Read DVD” errors that were simply inexcusable in a game with a save system so unforgiving. I think the last time I played it, it took me 2 hours to beat Chet and then I got that error - I’ve never gone back to it.

~C~

Could not read DVD errors? What are you talking about?

We’re talkin’ about PoS hardware.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=30872

So, are these games under warranty if they start failing to read after a few months?

How close can I get my character to looking like Spock in the full game? Any eyeshadow or the like?

Only if you buy one from EB with the game.

It should be noted that there is only a certain run of 360s that scratch the disks. It sucks, but it’s not very common. Not as common as the red-lighty-death-circle, anyway.

Only if I buy “one”, buy one what?

a warranty.

Oh, EB sells warranties with their games? How much does that cost and is it recommended (by qt3 peeps)?

No idea what it costs in the US. Here it’s about two dollars. It’s worth it if you think your disks might get scratched up, or if you’ve spent $100+ on some super-limited-deluxe game. I’ve bought it a few times, never had to use it. If I did, I would just bring the game and the receipt to the nearest EB and they do a straight replacement. In the States I wouldn’t be surprised if you have to mail away or something, like Best Buy makes you do.

It’s a total ripoff. If you have a damaged disc, call the publisher. They’ll almost certainly let you mail it in for a free replacement.

From Canada, it’s usually more to send the disc than get the EB warranty. I always feel like a total schmuck when I’m buying it though. Like they got me somehow.