3am: So Nightcrawler and Vader walk into a game

3am: So Nightcrawler and Vader walk into a game…

Sometimes the license makes the game, and sometimes the game makes the license.

How Nightcrawler not be the favorite character of a theology major?

I’m thinking that I’ll have to at least rent X-Men Legends now. I’ve heard too much positive word of mouth.

http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/ps2/xmen_legends/review/45067
Nice review, but man oh man are those screenshots compressed to hell and back. I almost cut myself on one of the artifacts.

I’m assuming that theology implies the study of only Christianity… not to bring this into P&R territory…

Anyway, I like Nightcrawler but only because he was the only non-American in the bunch.

I’m assuming that theology implies the study of only Christianity… not to bring this into P&R territory…

Anyway, I like Nightcrawler but only because he was the only non-American in the bunch.[/quote]
You mean theology in general or in this context? The former isn’t the study of only Christianity, and I don’t see why the latter would necessarily imply that in this context. I just can’t think of any other X-Men off the top of my head that are written with any kind of religious element to them (beyond some superficial remarks regarding Angel’s appearance, particularly contrasted with Nightcrawler’s).

The real question we should be asking Tom about Nightcrawler is how he kept him from teleporting into walls and dying all the time. Unless I’m in a really wide open space, using any of Nightcrawlers special attacks (I’ve only got the first two at the moment) ends with any lingering questions Nightcrawler had about the afterlife answered and my team running a man short.

You mean other than Wolverine (Canada), Colossus (Russia), Psylocke (England), Magma, and a bunch of others (Banshee, Thunderbird III, Sunfire, etc.) who aren’t in the game?

I just want to thank Tom for the link to those awesome Force Commander remixes. :)

Storm is from Africa too.

That’s right, she grew up in Africa, but I think she was born in the U.S.

Oh, okay.

[quote=“Albert_Woo”]

You mean other than Wolverine (Canada), Colossus (Russia), Psylocke (England), Magma, and a bunch of others (Banshee, Thunderbird III, Sunfire, etc.) who aren’t in the game?[/quote]

In fact, that second retooling of the X-Men (that started in issue 94) was almost entirely international which was one of the cool things about it. You also forgot Sunfire who was Japanese. The X-men and New Mutants groups have been one of the most consistently racially and ethnically diverse superhero teams out there.

The real question we should be asking Tom about Nightcrawler is how he kept him from teleporting into walls and dying all the time. Unless I’m in a really wide open space, using any of Nightcrawlers special attacks (I’ve only got the first two at the moment) ends with any lingering questions Nightcrawler had about the afterlife answered and my team running a man short.

I’ve never had Nightcrawler teleport into a wall. I don’t think it can happen in this game. What you’re probably seeing is that he’s jumping into the middle of a bunch of hostiles and getting beat up. Make sure to improve his body stat so he can withstand some punishment. Ultimately, Nightcrawler fares best if you level him like your other brawlers.

In fact, I powered through almost all of the Sentinel encounters by giving Nightcrawler a unique item called Nimrod’s Hammer (it gives you something like +1,000,000 damage vs. Sentinels) and having him do a couple of teleport flurries. And because I’d built him up as a brawler, I never had his focus high enough that he didn’t have to suck down a few mana potions along the way. But after that, I never had a problem with Sentinels, even the more advanced ones you’ll meet later, including some absolute pain-in-the-ass Sentinels who mess up your controls!

-Tom

Now that I think about it you’re probably right, it probably was just teleporting him into another room with enemies or something. Still, it was annoying.

he didn’t have to suck down a few mana potions

Boy, that’s X-Men canon. See that all the time in the comic books. “I’m gonna cut you, bub. But first, waitress, a cold frosty mug of mana!”

:roll:

Boy, that’s X-Men canon.

Shouldn’t you be off bashing IL-2 somewhere? :)

To be fair, they’re called mutant power boosters or some such thing. But since X-Men Legends is clearly building on the Diablo model – a wise choice, IMO – it’s a necessary part of the gameplay.

-Tom

I know, I know – it’s a gamey thing lifted straight from Diablo (and roundly reviled by “real” RPG’ers, who think that it should take a least five minutes to find the potion in your pack, struggle to get the child-proofe lid off of the vial, and quaff it.)

It just seems kind silly applied to superheroes, but I guess it works.

–scharmers

Fighting through waves of henchmen and goons seems a little silly for superheros too, but as a gaming convention it works ok. You don’t usually read six comics of the X-Men fighting riot police or whatever those guys are before you get to a Boss Comic, but in game, it works ok. No one’s claiming this is anything revolutionary.

… 'cause the spandex and ability to shoot energy beams from your eyes, turn your skin into living metal or rearrange your molecules to be somewhere entirely else are the height of believability and rationality.

In light of the recent soap opera that was the comic book Magneto’s latest return from the dead, power pills seem downright normal. Spider-Man even has them built into his character.

“Oh no! I can’t fight Doc Ock! I’m out of web fluid!”

Aren’t we past this Derek? Every single time anyone makes the slightest critique of any work of fantasy, someone says something retarded like this. Point out a plot hole in Lord of the Rings and someone says “Oh yeah, like elves and magic are real?”

People aren’t usually attacking the plausibilty of the world the work in question has established, they’re usually trying to bring up a point that’s not consistent with rules or elements that the fantasy world has invented. No one’s saying shooting laser beams from your eyes is realistic, they’re saying (or at least the implication of them not mentioning the laser beam eyes at all is) “Laser beam eyes are in the comics. These ‘mana potions’ aren’t. I’m calling shenanigans!” They’re not trying to selectively hold the part of the game they have a problem with to realistic standards, they’re pointing out that something is going against standards the fantasy developed on it’s own and that’s the issue.

Can this be the last time we have this kind of complaint? Please?

So, having defended the right to critique the idea of quaffing potions in an X-Men game, I still see it as an acceptable sacrifice to gameplay and don’t have a problem with it :)