3D MOVIES! (Or, you know, not.)

Wow, that’s really great news. I miss going to IMAX for movies, but I had refused to do so when they were 3D.

3D TVs seem to be on the way out too, thank God. I think I spent a grand total of 15 minutes using the glasses that came with my current set.

Selfishly, this makes me super happy. As someone with a lazy eye, I can’t see 3D movies. It sucks, but it did once give me the joy of having this conversation with a high school freshman in class one day:

Kid: “Mr. Lund, did you see [some 3D re-released movie]? It was soooo good.”

Me (in mock hurtfulness, pointing to my eyes): “I can’t see in 3D, but thanks for telling me about something awesome I’ll never be able to experience.”

K (completely crestfallen, stumbling): “I forgot! I’m so sorry!”

Me: laughs hysterically

The reason to teach is to mess with kids’ minds. That was a great year!

But, yeah, death to the 3D craze!!

Bah. I love 3d. I don’t think it justified the extra ticket price, but it still was a major reason to see things in the theater that I will apparently lose going forward.

I only like 3D movies that are filmed with 3D cameras, and unfortunately there are only about 3 of those, aside from documentaries. But I love 3D on TV - in fact, I was watching the Game of Thrones blurays with forced 3D and even they were really cool. It’s too bad it really took until modern OLEDs for 3D to be really impressive on home TVs, just as the genre died.