3d pavement drawings

Julian Beever draws crazy seemingly 3d stuff.

Heh, that’s great. Can’t imagine how long he must have practiced to get the perspective right on first attempt.

No experiment necessary, it’s very simple math.

http://gprime.net/images/sidewalkchalkguy/

I like the top 3 the most

I like the one where it looks like he removed a big chunk of the sidewalk.

The calculations are simple but this guy is doing his drawing on public pavement, not on a computer monitor. Unless he’s spending days plotting out every line and color change he must have gained some expertise with this kind of drawing so that he can just get it right with minimal outlining.

Dude, you just draw something, skew it, and then draw that on the sidewalk. There’s no difference between drawing a picture of a scene and drawing a skewed picture of a scene. It’s all just shapes, lines, and colors.

Yeah Matthew is right, it’s so easy. I bet he could totally do it if he wanted to.

It’s all just shapes, lines, and colors.

At a stroke, the field of art criticism is perfected :)

I wonder how much graphing and so on he does. It’s hard to imagine that he can just do it off the top of his head.

Of course, I suspect they only really look right because the pictures were taken from the correct angle. That isn’t to say they aren’t interesting bits of work, but as Matt said, they’re still just drawings.

• Alan

Wow Matthew and Alan what would it take to entertain you at this point in your lives?

Look, I’m not saying the guy isn’t talented. I’m just saying that if a guy is artistically talented and also knows some very basic math, this is easy to do.

The fact that you have to have both mathematical and artistic aptitude (not exactly a no-brainer combination) to make this work just makes it seem more impressive to me.

“ART” HOAX REVEALED: SISTENE CHAPEL CEILING PAINTING APPARENTLY COMPOSED ONLY OF SIMPLE LINES, SHAPES, AND COLORS, CLAIM SOME EXPERTS

EDIT: OMG WAN’T COMPARING SIDEWALK ARTIST TO GREATEST PAINTER IN HISTORY, SAYS EYEWITNESS
[size=1]“i was just trying to make a point”, says perpetrator stupidly[/size]

It looks great in a photo but I’m wondering if you’d have to look at it with one eye shut to get the same effect.
BTW, if my kids could just do ‘simple shapes and lines’ like that, I’d be delighted.

He done drew at home smallish-like first, then grid-expanded it home second, then either used some serious training wheels in public or went balls-out and memorized guide points from the home grid and/or superimposed the drawing to scale on a photo of the street/wall/Sistine Chapel/etc where the final work would go. And then he jumped on a conveyor belt, slapped Hanzii five, shit in ranvarian’s mouth and flew away, or something.

This is ridiculous. You are all basically saying it’s super way harder for an artist to paint a giraffe than it is to paint a dog. Drawing a distorted image is no different than drawing any other image. The only trick is figuring out how to distort, and that’s not anywhere near as mindbending as you might think.

Just because it took the magic gay powers of Jesus Christ to make the hidden walkway for the leap of faith in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade doesn’t mean that it’s really magic in real life. Any given 3D game out there does the same exact math many times in one second; this guy does it once and then draws a picture of it.

To be pedantic, drawing a distorted image is different to drawing to a regular image, for the same reason that copying an abstract image is different to copying a representational one. But the difference is negligable to a talented artist.