3d printer Recommendations?

I’m looking into getting a 3d printer but not sure of what to get. Originally I was going to go the resin route, but my friend got one so I’m looking for a non resin printer. I don’t know a ton about non resin printers, but I’d like to be able to print good quality terrain for board games like Marvel Crisis and Nemesis. Storage solutions for games etc., I was looking at crealty cr10 v3 or maybe an Ender, but not sure if there is a better option for my needs. Any suggestions?

I wish I hadn’t got a 3d printer. They are neat, but require endless fiddling to get right. I got a creality ender 3 pro. I ended up buying new stuff for it right away because it doesn’t work out of box for anything but the simplest prints. That’s my experience anyways, I’m sure there are lots of other takes though. :)

My experience as well. :)
I’ve still got ~$80 worth of upgrades sitting not installed on mine. Occasionally I think of things I want to print, then remember what I’d have to go through to do it and decide its not that important.

I also got an Ender 3 Pro ~6 months ago, and also ended up adding a lot of upgrades to it to improve it. I sort of knew what I was getting into so haven’t been disappointed, but it’s no exaggeration - it takes a lot of tinkering to keep it running well, and there is a lot of software tinkering as well. I use Cura, which is pretty well designed, but the configuration choices are complex and take a lot of reading to figure things out. These are not plug and play devices, at least at this end of the cost spectrum. The good news is when it’s dialed in it’s terrific and can produce lots of cool stuff, including a ton of 3d terrain for my kids’ dnd and warhammer games. They love the thing and are a constant source of requests for it. I bought a cheap model to try all this out and figure I will eventually get a higher end model with auto bed leveling, a better controller cpu, and more quality of life features.

I have a MonoPrice 3D printer that’s a few years old and is just a total pain in the butt leveling-wise, so I’ve been doing research on self-leveling 3D printers (a critical feature, IMHO, to avoid lots of frustration and wasted PLA).

The Creality CR6 SE looked good technically, but the build quality has been problematic. So much so that Creality warned customers not to let it run unattended – apparently a substandard power switch was arcing, etc. I saw a pic here on Qt3 of one with logo on the top of the printer installed upside-down. :) So the specs are great, but the whole build quality issue and catching on fire thing made me decide not to go that direction.

The good news is there’s a new printer, just shipped in the last month, that seems to be feature-similar to the Creality, including the same leveling technology, but has much better and more reliable build quality. Also is apparently capable of printing much faster.

The YouTube reviews from streamers who slammed the CR6 SE are generally very positive. I’m currently leaning towards selling my MonoPrice cheap and replacing it with one of these.

Is this because you work together frequently and wanted more options or because he doesn’t like his resin printer? I was looking very briefly at these recently and the more expensive resin printers look pretty amazing result wise but I don’t know much about them except that the filament based printers are super fiddly. I was curious how much that applied to the more expensive resin models.

PRUSA I3 MK3S+.
These are comparatively expensive, but they tend to “just work”.
I’ve heard Prusa called the Apple of the FDM printing world…

This way we could double up. He can print the miniatures and I can print terrain and storage for my games etc.