3x3: best outfits

This week’s 3x3 starts at the one hour and three minute mark of our Piranha 3D podcast. The topic is the best outfits in movies. Our picks:

Kellywand
3. Rodney Dangerfield’s golf get-up in Caddyshack
2. Clint Eastwood’s poncho in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

1. Nude old man’s loin cloth and fetishes in Quest for Fire

Dingus
3. Cary Grant’s suit in North by Northwest
2. Mickey Rourke’s down jacket in The Wrestler

1. Diane Keaton’s vest, tie, slacks, and hat in Annie Hall

Tom
3. Thomas Turgoose’s pilfered clothes in Somers Town
2. Mel Gibson’s black leather in The Road Warrior

1. Adam Sandler’s coat and tie in Punch-Drunk Love

Dig it:

Punch-Drunk Love

The Road Warrior

Somers Town

-Tom

See, that just shows how mature you guys are… all I can think of is panties and lingerie.

1. Like Jamie Lee Curtis’ panties in Trading Places (easy to find, but I like being here)

2)

Sorry…

No apologies necessary. Especially for #3.

1. The Rocketeer in The Rocketeer.

1. Robert DeNiro in Stardust.

1. Every Nazi in every movie featuring Nazis.

(You know, Hugo Boss designed their uniforms! I heard they cost $775 million to produce, though I may be confusing facts.)

(When did the number of images get reduced from five to four? :( I had another Nazi example. Jerks.)

(It was Tom Cruiser from Valkyrie, so I guess it’s no big loss. Though his eyepatch was dashing!)

I love all the clothes in Jaws, but especially the Mayor’s mind-boggling jacket with the little anchors all over it:

Every outfit in The Fifth Element!

The Dude’s bathrobe from The Big Lebowski.

Hi’s pantyhose from Raising Arizona

Phoebe Cate’s bikini from Fast Times at Ridgemont High

3) Neil Patrick Harris as a Nazi Sturmfuhrer, in Starship Troopers

Anyone who thinks that Starship Troopers doesn’t contain satire should take a second look at this outfit.

2) Jules and Vincent, in Pulp Fiction

“You guys look like … what do they look like, Jimmy?”
“Dorks. They look like a couple of dorks!”
“Ha ha ha. They’re your clothes, motherfucker.”

I love these outfits. When you watch the movie, they first turn up right after the scene where Jules and Vincent do their first hit. They turn up in Marcellus Wallace’s bar wearing them, when in the previous scene they were wearing suits. It’s played for a laugh, but it’s also the first indication that the movie is going to play games with the timeline. And then they are both wearing them for the entire coffee shop scene at the end, which makes sense for the plot – they look like just two other diners, no one (including the robbers) can tell they are a couple of hit men.

1) Mozart, in Amadeus

In Amadeus, where everyone is wearing a powdered wig, Mozart’s wigs are pink and punk. His wigs look like they are modeled after Joan Jett. Very subtle, but effective in establishing him as the establishment-rocking rock star of the classical era. I put this at number one because it’s the only eighteenth-century period piece I can think of (which always seem to get nominated for costume oscars) that screws with history this way.

Honourable Mentions: William H. Macy in Fargo (ie: his jacket, hat-with-ear-flaps, and snow boots), Aragorn in Lord of the Rings.

Johnny Depp’s CIA t-shirt in ‘Once Upon a Time in Mexico’

Bernard Hill’s armour (Theoden) in ‘The Two Towers’

Audrey Hepburn’s black dress and diamonds in ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’

Indiana Jones’ hat. It’s almost a separate character.

The drag outfits in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, specifically the ones they wear to the top of the mountain.

Darth Vader’s armor: one of the most iconic images from Scifi.

I think that Gautier did the costume design on that film. There’s always something awesome that happens when a fashion designer does costume design.

Ah yes, he did. Here he is, posing with some of his creations!

Kelly LeBrock in Weird Science - pretty much any of her outfits, but particularly the gym clothes at the end. “Drop and give me twenty”, indeed.

White t shirt worn by Jacqueline Bisset in The Deep. I post an image but I think I’d get banned.

1. Neo and Trinity in the Matrix
  2. Wynona Ryder’s outfits in Beetlejuice (and possibly anything else, since I have a huge crush on her; but in this case, I like how well she showed the angsty teen fashion model)
  3. The Tron outfits.

My 3x1:

Kill Bill

Blues Brothers

Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure

Picking any scifi/fantasy movies seems like cheating. Otherwise I’d be inflicting Zardoz on you.

Johnny Depp in pirates of the caribbean

Bruce Lee wore it better, imo!

Agreed.

For another costume that shows up in multiple movies I’ll nominate the Furies gang uniform from the Warriors which is then reused to great effect in Murder Party.

Also I’ll throw in the snake skin jacket from Wild at Heart, as it is a symbol if individuality and personal freedom.

Dude.