3x3: best uses of sand

-When there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.
-You ate what?
-We ate sand.
-You ate sand?
-That’s right.

We discuss our favorite uses of sand in movies, and get into a debate about whether quicksand is real or not, at the 1:41 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of The VVitch.

Tom Chick
3. Creepshow
2. The Master

1. Blood Beach

Dingus
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Lawrence of Arabia

1. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Kelly Wand
3. One Crazy Summer
2. Blood Beach

1. Saving Private Ryan

What are your favorite uses of sand in movies? Is quicksand a real thing? Does sand on other planets count as sand? Listen to the show to hear us go on about ours, and to hear Kelly Wand read some listener picks. Please send in your choices for the next topic to [email protected].

Also, when you can, try to see The Witch.

Raising Arizona.

“[…]when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3RAMjx8aps

Gotta have a link for that one. :)

Lawrence of Arabia.

The movie captures a sense of place in ways modern epics really don’t for me. In particular, though, the trek to coast across the uncrossable desert.

Don’t give up, ReptileHouse! I didn’t really choose sense of place. I chose only one scene in particular. If you have other scenes to highlight, don’t give up.

And you’re right. That quote deserves a link.

-xtien

The sandstorm scene from the new Mad Max. That’s the point where I managed to turn my brain off and say “oh hell yeah, let’s watch this!”

The Martian: plenty of scenes to pull from that made strong use of sand. The driving sand pinging the outside of the habitat was a constant reminder that death was just a thin membrane away

The mandala in the Kundun credits. One of the most beautiful sequences I’ve ever scene.

I was surprised there was no mention of sand from an hourglass, or the sands of time or the like. The one that came to mind was from Krull, where a character was given a handful of sand from a magical hourglass; as long as he held it, it kept him alive to get back to the hero with the info needed to etc etc etc. It finally slips through his fingers and he perishes.

How is this not #1 on everyone’s list?

That was me, mentioning Bill Murray’s brother under a chair in One Crazy Summer, during the 3x3 for favourite shadows. “Who brings a can of chili to the beach?!” Take that, Kelly Wand!

Ah. Very good. I knew I remembered that. I just wrongly attributed it to Mr. Wand.

Thank you kentdog!

-xtien

Just came in here to mention Dune.

Anything remotely sandy reminds me of Dune, and even though I’ve read the book(s) a dozen times, this is the version that I picture in my mind.

ReptileHouse, I believe you destroyed the “You ate sand” link by linking it here. Thanks a lot!

-xtien

“There’s what’s right and there’s what’s right and never the twain shall meet.”

Doh! Now I have become death, destroyer of links.

For some strange reason, I like the idea of that most earthbound substance – sand – being used in movies with a space theme, so:

1. Interstellar

2. Gravity – Final scene

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind – Opening scene