3x3: birds in movies

We discuss our favorite birds in movies at the 1:24 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Moonlight.

Tom Chick
3. Five Corners
2. The Long Weekend

1. The Remains of the Day

Kelly Wand
3. High Anxiety
2. One Million Years B.C.

1. The Return of the Pink Panther

Dingus
3. Jurassic Park
2. The Royal Tenenbaums

1. 28 Days Later

Have any favorite birds in movies? Listen to the show to hear us talk about our favorites and to hear Dingus read some listener picks.

Send in your picks for the next list to [email protected].

I remember developing an emotional connection with LL Cool J’s parrot in Deep Blue Sea.

1. Kevin, the big bird in Up

2. The white dove that gets toasted by the Martians’ lasers in Mars Attacks!

3. Probably cheating, but all of the birds in The Birds.

Jennifer. The bird in Dr. Kelp’s lab in the original Nutty Professor.

In the family corvidae, not sure which though. It was a while ago.

It’s only cheating if you don’t listen to the podcast.

-Tom

Secret campaign to get Top Secret in to as many 3x3s as possible continues.

Birdemic. Come on! They explode when they fly into things. They spit acid or something.

I was totally going to write in to this one, but then I got distracted by the steam sale (True story: I realized I’d forgotten about it while playing through Resident Evil 5 and an NPC exclaimed “Nice!” when I blew up a truck during a canned action sequence.)

Which is probably just as well, since I’m pretty sure it’s immoral to send in anime picks unless @Kelly_Wand has to read it.

Anyway, it spared you a lengthy diatribe on Patlabor 2, which is a movie a love wholly and unreservedly, and is probably impossible to recommend to most people, because, well, how would you recommand a mecha-anime that a) has basically no mecha action b) is a capper to a long-running goofy cop series series and c) turns that fun garglingly bitter to anyone?

It has all the things I want in a Mamoru Oshii movie: Basset hound cameos! Tanks! Weirdly perverse destruction! Discussing the themes in long monologues! But unlike Ghost in the Shell, which the team would go on to do next, all that stuff i married to a much more functional political thriller.

It also has

so

many

goddamn

birds.

For it is only in the triumph of the human spirit that we truly know we are alive. Also, it reminds me of that Atari 2600 Frogger clone Freeway.

This “CG” turkey in Christmas Vacation makes me laugh every time. I love how much smoke comes pouring out of it.

I suppose the birds are only tangentially involved here, but, in Hard Boiled, the criminals are smuggling guns in the bottom of bird cages. I’m really interested in the bird/tea house that this opening gun fight takes place in. Everyone brings their birds down to the tea shop to sit and drink tea with their birds. I want to go to there.

Gifs, you say?

This was my first thought too. But really, any John Woo movie has a scene of a couple doves flying past as the protagonist jumps forward with a pistol blazing in each hand. Probably while sliding down a stairwell. In a church.

This will probably get me sent to bird jail

Birdy
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjExOTM4NzczMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM3NDQyNA@@.V1_SX640_SY720.jpg

Dare I? Yes. I do.

If it squicks anyone out I can hide it.

Okay. So on the podcast we brought that up because I could not remember the chicken from a certain movie. I don’t think we ever came up with the answer, but it just came to me today.

You reminded me.

-xtien

Truly awesome movie! Must watch again.

All I can think of is the random dove in Blade Runner.

I hope that’s not against the rules. I rarely listen to the movie podcasts because I don’t watch movies.

Not the owl?

LadyHawke, which I have an unreasonable fondness for despite Matthew Broderick and the lame synth score.

https://media.giphy.com/media/wVLwAbALGiGf6/giphy.gif

I love the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

Clash of the Titans

Also, those bird-like monsters in Dark Crystal if they count.