3x3 Favorite Landings

When did Jason finally don his iconic hockey mask? Who would Dwayne Johnson switch bodies with in a body switching movie? Find out by listening to the Qt3 Movie Podcast of While We’re Young and jump to the 01:22:28 mark to listen to the guys talk about their favorite landings (preferably humans landing on something) in movies.

Kelly Wand
3. Alien
2. You’ll need to listen to the podcast for this one.

1. Titanic

Tom Chick
3. The Matrix
2. Final Destination 5

1. Birdy

Dingus
3. Hudson Hawk
2. Iron Man

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

Post your choices below and send in your picks for next week’s topic to [email protected].

““TK-421, why aren’t you at your post? TK-421, do you copy?””

There’s one particular person landing that stands out in my head. It’s from the not-great Superman Returns. The moment in question is in the trailer.

Superman hits the ground like a bloody hammer, a ring of cracks bracket the impact. He doesn’t touch down gently, like an actor suspended with wires over a stage.

In my recollection, there are two such moments in the film, but I’m not going to watch it again to verify. It said to me: Superman is not just an actor in a suit, he is an alien barely able to constrain his enormous power around us.

I presume some listener nominated Serenity (specifically “I am a leaf on the wind” in case there’s any doubt which landing). I would also have nominated Aliens (“We’re on an express elevator to hell”), and basically any film where a superhero does the three point landing thing and then looks at the camera, because it’s way cool. Let’s say Avengers.

Yeah, the Iron Man Tebow landing is totally awesome.

Also, Jeff Chang had some great landings in the surprisingly funny 21 & Over - the most notable coming from his three story drop onto the top of the SUV of the dart catching pep rally bad guy.

I’m guessing you would not accept the movie Darkstar, where at the end Lt. Doolittle surfs to a planet on a fragment of the destroyed spaceship? He probably burns up in orbit…

Hard to top Denzel landing the plane in Flight.

I bet the East German judge deducted points for not sticking the landing.

It’s not Denzel, but then Denzel didn’t have Steve Buscemi singing “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands.”

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Iron Man