3x3: favorite military women

We discuss our favorite women in the military in movies at the 49-minute mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Into the Storm.

Dingus
3. 28 Weeks Later
2. 300: Rise of an Empire

1. Edge of Tomorrow

Kelly Wand
3. 300: Rise of an Empire
2. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

1. Aliens

Tom Chick
3. 28 Weeks Later
2. Mulberry St

1. Captain Phillips

Post your choices below and send in any picks you have for the next topic to [email protected].

In before Aliens again.

Damn, I meant to get in on this and got drawn into a lengthy commiseration with some other STL folks about the situation there.

In any event, I won’t get a chance to listen until later tonight, but hoping a fellow Qt3 listener mentioned Sean Young and PJ Soles in Stripes…yowza.

Yes!!

The Aunt Jemima treatment. Nice.

-xtien

“Who’s your friend? Who’s your buddy?”

I mean, it’s been years, maybe even a decade or two since I’ve sat down to watch that movie, but guessing they’re both still hot as all get out.

1. Private Benjamin, not so much for Bambi-eyed Goldie Hawn, but for Eileen Brennan, who chews up every scene she’s in. Bonus points for also have P.J. Soles in it as well.

2. G.I. Jane, because Demi Moore… and she’s bald, if that’s your thing. Bonus points for being directed by Ridley Scott (who knew?)

3. Courage under Fire, Meg Ryan is great in this movie, and I love the mystery and courtroom angle. Bonus points for an early role for Matt Damon when he had really bad teeth.

Awesome! Whatever happened to PJ Soles?

-Tom

Michelle Rodriguez, Avatar. Do a remake of Aliens and she gets the tough girl part.

Hayley Atwell, Captain America. Yeah, I know, but she’s in uniform, so there!

Dina Meyer, Starship Troopers. Okay, so, she probably just looks good in comparison to…

LEAST Favorite Military Woman. Denise Richards, Starship Troopers. Suck her brains out, Alien Bug! Wait…she doesn’t have any? Ah well, can’t fault them there…

Seen it recently, and yes.

Echoing last week’s topic on advice, Jean Luc Godard said, “All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.”

Hayley Atwell’s Peggy in the first Captain America movie gets a thumbs up. Out of two, I’d give her one. He spewed crudely. [cue Britney]

“You eyeballing me, mister? Well the next time I see that ugly face of yours I want it clean shaven!”
In Hot Shots, Kirsty Swanson’s Kowalski – topless but for a white brassiere – is told to “Suck in that chest!” during a riff a barracks inspection scene.

I’ll get me coat.
Pete

Literally the only thing I remember about the Pauly Shore vehicle In the Army Now was Lori Petty’s character. Back then and I guess to this day, American women weren’t allowed in front line combat. She really wanted to be in combat, so she volunteered for a supply unit that had a huge probability of being ambushed. Soldiers need water in the desert, her unit provided that water, and it was indeed ambushed.

There were probably also wacky hijinks with the Weasel.

Hmm, I didn’t realize that. Although it’s kind of moot. “Front line of combat” is such an antiquated 20th century concept.

-Tom

Does Shelly Long in Troop Beverly Hills count?

Fuck it, that was just an excuse to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxJiBOpu60

Argh, my eyes. And ears.

-Tom

1. Alison Doody in Last Crusade
    As Elsa (no rank given)
    She’s awesome in many ways, but mostly for the way she handles the ‘choose a cup’ scene toward the end.

2. Jo Ann Pflug in Mash (1970)
    As “Lt. Dish.”
    'Nuff Said.

3. Jane Lynch in Wreck it Ralph
    As Calhoun
    This character may fall under the same umbrella as whatshername in Aliens, but she’s more than just a tough woman. She steals every scene she’s in thanks to Jane Lynch.

Honorable Mention:
Juanin Clay in Wargames
As Pat Healy
Forget combat, all she was allowed to do was announce the WHOPPER’s progress for figuring out launch codes.

Rhona Mitra, Doomsday - mostly for how jaded & blase she seems the entire time, like she’s seen it all before, no matter how crazy shit gets
Rinko Kikuchi, Pacific Rim - seriously, do I need to draw a flowchart to explain this?

For an American, that’s certainly true. It’s been a very long time since we fought anyone on equal terms and so when we do fight - it’s almost always against irregulars. Such strategies allow the weaker party to even the odds and bleed the stronger party.

That’s not to say that irregular warfare has replaced the conventional dust up though. If the Taliban want to control Afghanistan, for example, then they’ll need to actually capture and hold territory. For that to happen they need to transform their forces into a traditional army. Irregulars are too lightly armed to take and hold territory. They lack the firepower or the staying power to do so.

1. Lori Petty in Tank Girl. OK, so she’s not strictly in the military, but she’s in a resistance movement and she’s driving a tank. Close enough.

2. Demi Moore in A Few Good Men.

1, Angelina Jolie in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.