3x3: favorite throw-and-catch

We discuss our favorite examples of throwing and catching at the 59-minute mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Snatched.

That’s right. We saw Snatched and talked about it for almost an hour. Believe it.

Kelly Wand
3. Total Recall
2. Big Trouble in Little China

1. Bad News Bears

Dingus
3. The Breakfast Club
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

1. The Untouchables

Tom Chick
3. Excalibur
2. Muriel’s Wedding

1. Big Trouble in Little China

Both things need to be seen–the throw and the catch–to qualify for this topic. Please listen to the podcast to hear us pass around our ideas, and to hear Tom read some listener picks. And good luck if you pick something the 3x3 cop on duty deems to be “ejecting” instead of “throwing”!

Send in your picks for the next topic to [email protected]

My three picks all come from one movie: The Incredibles.

Field of Dreams and The Natural each ended with throwing and catching.

I love these picks. I just decided to avoid sports for some reason.

I like the throw-and-catch in the first act of The Natural. The one that takes place during the train stop. I love Sam’s reaction to catching the first pitch Roy Hobbs throws past The Whammer. It’s a simple thing but it builds the mythology of the character.

-xtien

-You read my mind.
-That takes all of three seconds.

Come on, @rhamorim! Lay them out for us. I’m interested.

-xtien

“No school like the old school.”

My number 1 pick is the scene near the end, obviously, in which Mr. Incredible throws Elastic Girl to catch their baby. It’s a twist! ;)

Number 2 pick is in the fight with the giant robot near the end, and the repeated throwing/catching of the robot’s remote control.

Number 3 pick I’ll have to get back to you because I can’t remember right now. :)

Juggling is technically throwing and catching, just sayin’.

See? I like this. I never would have thought of this. Whenever I thought of throwing a being I kept thinking of babies and then this…

…and that got me distracted.

-xtien

“Don’t tell the elf.”

How about that scene in Fast & Furious 6, where Michelle Rodriguez is thrown from a speeding tank, and Vin Diesel deliberately crashes his car to catapult himself through the windshield and catch her in the air, only to land safely on the hood of another car?

(EDIT: I had misremembered: Dom climbs out of the car before crashing and flinging himself to the rescue.)

FTFY.

Great pick if you want to spend time in 3x3 jail for not following the rules! The stipulation for the podcast is that someone has to actually throw something. Being thrown by a crashing tank does not qualify.

-Tom

I did expect more sports. In fact, I screwed up my list, because it was supposed to have a sports pick on it!

-Tom

I was always partial to the way Arnold caught the biker’s keys at the beginning of T2.

[quote=“rhamorim, post:6, topic:129777, full:true”]Number 3 pick I’ll have to get back to you because I can’t remember right now. :)
[/quote]

How about when Dash “throws” the water out of his mouth, and Frozone freezes & catches it?

I mean, Vin Diesel does kind of throw himself…

But yeah, I figured it was probably a bit of a stretch. Cheerfully withdrawn! I’ll take any excuse to rewatch and share that seen though.

Hey. I considered it! I brought it up as a possible runner up.

You are not alone.

-xtien

“Fambly.”

Works for me. ;)

Here’s professional wrestler Joey Ryan using his penis to throw an opponent, which the mat then catches:
http://imgur.com/mjt8JL0

I thought that was Rick Rude for a moment.

-xtien

“Two more pills. In one hour. Give them to him.”

I thought of this one after I had sent my email out.