3x3: favorite uses of math

Impressive, but I’m still going to beat you in our Lost Cities game Perkins.

But what do you make of this argument:

1/0.1 = 10
1/0.01 = 100
1/0.001 = 1000
etc.
1/0 = infinity
so thus
1 divided by a negative exceeds infinity

Therefore I kicked your ass.

OH SHIT

But wait, I see a heart in the game timeline. And as we all know, love conquers all, which necessarily includes math, as math is a subset of all things. Therefore your math is negated and the victory stands!

Prolix, you just reminded me of Laura Dern for some reason.

-xtien

1/0 is not infinity. If you run those numbers for the negative range (-1/0.1 = -10, -1/0.01 = -100, etc) you’ll arrive at the conclusion that divide by 0 is negative infinity. Really, divide by 0 is undefined, a discontinuity in the divide function’s value range.

Using single quotes to quote is smegging annoying.

I’ll accept that and try again!

If N is a positive number, then 1/N grows arbitrarily large as N approaches zero. So it stands to reason that as N passes zero and enters the negative numbers, 1/N continues to grow. So 1/N is larger than infinity when N is negative. And I’ve kicked prolix’s ass at Lost Cities no matter what he spouts about “love”.

I was taught (by just one person) that when you actually quote something specific, you use double quotes, but when you’re simply bringing up a common phrase, you use single quotes. Does that not jive with what you’ve learned?

She’s so great. Kelly Wand growl. When Jeff Goldblum starts talking, she briefly glances in his direction, just a tiny hint of annoyance that he’s interrupting their science stare. Where is she now?!

Dave, if you don’t mind sharing, what other topics are you covering in your book? I enjoyed the snippet you posted!

Thanks! It’s about the constants phi, pi, e and i. It’s mainly an excuse to show the cool stuff that calculus gets ya!

Excellent! I will keep an eye out for it. Good luck with it!

I wouldn’t consider myself a math-type or a fan of reading educational books for pleasure, but good grief Dave’s writing is like if you put smooth jazz on paper. <3

No, that does not jibe with any quoting rules I’ve ever been exposed to.

While in Belloq’s tent, Marian said the exact opposite…

Well damn, I guess I have a tough road to home ahead of me! :P

Thx…

That is most kind and because there’s some interest in this book, please feel free to look at the rough draft of my preface!

Does this make you want to continue? Did I write anything so overwrought that made you gag? Thanks in advance to whomever takes a look and replies…

Tough road to home? Uhhhhhhh.

-xtien

I want to be able to read this book, but I think it will make me feel dumber than I already am. Can you write something about, say, otters next time?

-Tom

Absolutely not!