3x3: great scenes set in cars

Am I a bad person for liking the car chase sequence from Four Brothers?

Somewhere near the back of my mind is an awesome tailing sequence from The French Connection, but it’s been a few years since I last saw that, so I can’t remember if it actually happened, or not. It was not the chase scene. And I think Roy Scheider was involved.

Nobody’s mentioned the final scene from The Long Good Friday?

It’s still one of my favourite movie endings – no shoot outs or great speeches or epic final moments, just a couple of minutes of Harold (Bob Hoskins) trying to take in what’s happening.

Rei, the Four Brothers chase scene is great. There’s another weather-based chase in We Own the Night that I really like. Of course, car chases are a whole other ball game than just scenes in cars.

Omniscia, could you be thinking of The Seven-Ups? It’s got a very French Connection-ish chase (same stunt coordinator, I believe?) with Roy Scheider.

Wandering, Long Good Friday was definitely mentioned on the podcast. Hoskins makes that scene and it’s remarkable that the director trusts him to hold the camera on him for that long. In fact, there’s a brief point where they cut to the gunman in the front seat, presumably to edit together two different parts of an even longer shot. I hate that we have to see the gunman again, which is so unnecessary, but it’s obviously so we can see the range of what Hoskins is doing.

Also, you gotta dig that music. It starts out like some sort of John Carpenter soundtrack and then the rowdy saxophone kicks in. Awesome scene, even if you just watch it out of context. Here it is with Hoskins’ final “Dunkirk spirit” speech right before that scene happens.

-Tom

No. It wasn’t a chase I was thinking of, but a vehicular surveillance scene. I should watch it again to be sure.