3x3: Halloween triple features that span at least 30 years

I like those, they definitely capture the frame of mind I am thinking of. Spoorloos less so, but I still like the idea that the guy feels he needs to get completely in the mind of his girlfriend’s killer to get any peace.

Wait, Spoorloos? Dude, this is America. We call movies by their American names. The Vanishing, for instance. Or Les Miserables.

-Tom

Dammit Pogue! Now I’ve got to watch Miracle Mile again. Haven’t I got enough to contend with?

I have such fond memories of that movie, mainly because of my friend, Yuri, who introduced it to me. I still have it somewhere around here on tape (tape!) in it’s clunky red plastic case (a tape I bought used from some movie rental place back in Virginia).

I too wanted to try to get Lake Mungo in there, but I couldn’t leave out Paranormal Activity, no matter how hard I tried.

Also, kudos to sinnick for going funny.

-xtien

“Hey! Do you know anybody who can fly a–”

Creepy spaceships:

1. Alien (1979)
  2. Event Horizon (1997)
  3. Pandorum (2009)

Frankenstein!

I’m going to skip the original 1931 movie–which is solid, and go with The Bride Of Frankenstein, 1935…

then

The Curse Of Frankenstein (1957) Hammer Films first major foray into creature features, with Peter Cushing as Dr. F and Christopher Lee as the monster. Totally excellent.

then

Frankenstein: The True Story (1973). Big budget, made for TV miniseries (3 hours worth) with James Mason, David McCallum, a 22 year old Jane Seymour, Sir John Gielgud, Sir Ralph Richardson, and Tom “Dr. Who” Baker. One-time almost big star Michael Sarrazin plays the monster. It’s serviceable, hews as true as any filmed version has to the book, and for the most part works.

Triggercut, can I force everyone to stay for a fourth movie after your triple feature? If so, I’d totally make them watch May (2002), which is probably the most 21st century sensibility take you’ll find on Mary Shelley’s myth. It even returns it to the fairer sex where it originated. And it’s the first collaboration between Lucky McKee and Angela Bettis.

-Tom

It’s a real pain when you got an idea really like, two perfect picks, and then nothing. I spent all of last week racking my brain trying to come up with a third movie to go with Wicker Man and Black Death, for a “going off into a superficially idyllic pagan community and meeting a sticky end” list.

And since I made a Mommie Dearest list, triple features for the rest of the family:

Daddy’s Not What He Used To Be

1. Eyes Without A Face (1960) (Carpenter’s 1995 version works too, at least timewise)
  2. The Shining (1980)
  3. 28 Week Later (2007)

The Kids Aren’t Alright

1. The Village Of The Damned (1960)
  2. The Omen (1976)
  3. The Children (2008)

If only Sauna, a 2008 Finnish horror movie, had been made several years earlier!

And without resorting to any of the Stepfather movies! Or even Oliver Reed in Burnt Offerings! You’re good.

Replace The Omen with The Brood (1979) and you won’t have to resort to a lone kid in the middle of your kids plural motif!

Also, there is no way you’ve actually seen The Children. You just looked it up on IMDB or something, right?

-Tom

Absolutely! I’ve been trying to remember May for for he last two weeks, and now I’m going to effort seeing it before Halloween!

But then you lose the aspect of people fearing their children, and I don’t think there’s a more iconic evil kid movie than The Omen. The Brood is about a dad trying to protect his daughter. If you’d seen it you’d know this Tom.

I’ve seen bits and pieces of The Children, I don’t remember much aside from the pretty brilliant tagline and the kids inexplicably starting to cry around the Christmas table, which was pretty unsettling.

fun with corpses:

Deadgirl (2008)
Re-animator (1985)
Psycho (1960)

Ah, I guess I didn’t realize that’s you were doing. Please see Orphan if you haven’t already!

It’s worth seeing. A bit uneven, but your recollection of that Christmas scene is a good representation of what The Children is attempting. Plus, it was co-written by the brilliant Paul Andrew Williams. And it wouldn’t be out of place in a triple feature of horror movies that don’t explain everything.

Speaking of Paul Andrew Williams, here’s a triple feature, culminating in his most recent movie:

Su casa is mi casa
Desparate Hours (1955)
Funny Games (1997)
Cherry Tree Lane (2010)

-Tom

Though he did mostly tv in the 80s, I present the Sid Haig collection:

Spider-Baby (1968)
Galaxy of Terror (1981)
Devil’s Rejects (2005)

Amazing character actor with 126 films and tv shows, including appearances on Star Trek, The Danny Thomas Show, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, and even The Flying Nun!

Stephen King movies that don’t totally suck:

The Shining (1980)
Misery (1990)
The Mist (2007)