3x3: moments of ecstasy

We discuss our favorite moments of ecstasy in movies at the 1:05 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Black Mass.

Dingus
3. Brainstorm
2. Boy A

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

Kelly Wand
3. GoldenEye
2. The Rules of Attraction

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Tom Chick
3. Boy A
2. The Fountain

1. Whiplash

What are your favorite moments of ecstasy in movies? Listen to the podcast to hear Tom read some listener submissions, and email us at [email protected] with your picks for the next 3x3 topic.

Ralphie getting his BB gun on Christmas morning.

Jaws: Brody kills the shark.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest: Chief escapes.

It’s a Wonderful Life: George wants to live again.

Star Wars, for me.

1. Ocean’s ElevenQuiet ecstasy by the Bellagio fountains
  2. HoosiersThe final shot
  3. The NaturalThe final home run

No one on this thread thus far is worthy of the title True Nerd.

Jim…Your name is Jim.

First thing I thought of, upon seeing the thread.

The link is dead, but if you mean Luke Skywalker thrusting his proton torpedoes into the tight vent opening, then gasping as he barely pulls out of the trench in time, that’s a great choice.

1. I haven’t seen this in probably 25 years, but Winona Ryder’s good little Catholic girl loses her innocence in Mermaids to some older dude in a church belfry surrounded by judgmental icons. It’s quick and gross but for a second she’s transfigured like Bernini’s Ecstasy of St. Theresa. And I think JFK was shot at the same time, so it’s like the whole nation lost its innocence right along with her. It inspired me to rigorously maintain my virginity throughout my teen years, so I wouldn’t be responsible for causing a president to be assassinated.

1. One of Scott Thompson’s characters in Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy is closeted, but not very carefully. When he takes a new anti-depressant, the closet disintegrates and he tells his neighborhood that he is, in fact, gay.

1. Jennifer Connolly taking drugs in Requiem for a Dream. The eyes dilate, the breath hitches, and pleasure floods through the system. She feels so great, she forgets to put on pants while looking in the bathroom mirror. (no picture available) Thank goodness the rest of the movie makes it pretty clear that there are also downsides to heroin.

Runners Up - Little Ze growing up in a pistol murderin’ montage in City of God. He’s having such a grand time, you almost forgive him for killing all those people.

Everyone in Kenneth Anger’s Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome