3x3: movies you hate that everyone loves

Damn it, I’ll have to listen to the podcast now, just to find out how someone can’t love this movie. I’m guessing Tom hates slapstick humor, but I’ll find out when I listen, hopefully.

For me, I saw the movie with a good audience, and we were just all laughing hysterically throughout the movie. I haven’t seen the movie a second time, but that first time, with that audience, all of us laughing until it hurt, and then all of us crying, it was a pretty amazing experience. I’ve never been part of such a masterful mass-audience manipulation before or since.

You are deranged.

Dude. It is a Bad Movie. Were it not for the rabid fanboy contingent that treat it as gospel to an extent greater than Taliban fanatics, the original movie should be the subject of SO much mockery.

What came from it is great - Star Wars is the most cohesive and well thought-out shared-universe fiction in history. But none of that is relevant to the fact that the original movie is bad.

Ugh. I hate this movie so much and for so many reasons, but people seem to really love it.

Seconding American Beauty. “An exploration of the dark underbelly of the suburbanzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz”

Do the Right Thing.

Caddyshack. I have no idea why this movie has comedy classic status. I found it grindingly unfunny.

Also agreed that calling a lot of these movies universally loved or nearly so is a stretch. I mean, Equilibrium?

Even people who love the original movie - myself included - are capable of seeing the things that are ‘bad’ about it. To suggest that it isn’t mocked and hasn’t been mocked consistently since it was released is lunacy. The things that are wrong with it simply add to its charm for those of us who love it.

All true. It’s just that, as a stand-alone film, I personally find that it doesn’t hold up for me. I can totally understand why other folks adore it, but it just doesn’t do it for me.

To further brand myself as a heretic, I really like Episode III while still recognizing all its flaws, so I get where you’re coming from.

This thread seems purpose built for alexlitel.

1. The Big Lebowski
  2. Rushmore
  3. American Beauty

I just didn’t get Lebowski. It was fine enough I suppose, but it wasn’t “the perfect movie” like I hear so many people go on about. But Rushmore I actively despise. I have no idea why anyone would like that movie. But American Beauty is even worse, for the reasons people have pointed out.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but what the fuck is wrong with you?

Explain yourself, sir!

1. Juno - Painfully bad. I can only put up with so much twee bullshit before I want to punch the person sitting in front of me.

My top two are in the top 4 on IMDB, which makes me want to punch everybody in the world.

1. Inception - Kind of boring, enormous plot holes that make me think even the filmmakers didn’t care, and Yet Another Leonardo Di Caprio Doing the Same Goddamn Thing movie.

2. The Shawshank Redemption - I will forever be confounded by this movie. It is completely boring. I thought it was something that only Christians really liked because all the Christians I knew growing up adored it, but apparently it’s something that boring stupid people everywhere really like.

Using the Tom Chick method of choosing the first 3 films on the IMDB Top 250 list that I dislike, and then listing them in reverse order:

1. American Beauty - heavy-handed crap that help morons feel spiritually enlightened. (40th best movie on IMDB

2. American History X- heavy-handed crap that helps morons feel tolerant, with Ed Furlong offsetting Ed Norton. (39th best movie of all time on IMDB, sigh)

3. Silence of the Lambs. Good actors, no script. Jonathan Demme is just a journeyman hack who is badly overrated, and this film is the most overrated film on IMDBs list. (26th best movie of all time on IMDB)

I hated all the characters in the movie. I wanted them all to fail. I went looking for a light comedy and I got this dreary piece of tripe (my opinion) that decided it would be a kind of cutesy lark with a bunch of people that I’d never want to see again.

I can’t get any more specific than that - it’s been a while since I subjected myself to it. I don’t remember it that well, but I think I remember throwing something at the screen when the stupid curtains came up and I was supposed to be warmed in my heart or something.

1. Donnie Darko - Hot Topic employees make a movie
  2. The Usual Suspects - Predictable and dull
  3. Seven - “You can fool most of the people some of the time” comes to mind…and I refuse to spell it with the dippy numeral

Tootsie: I don’t get it. Dustin Hoffman is an ass, as a male or female. Jessica Lange is a self absorbed, unappealing actress(the character that is). These two may be the least appealing movie characters outside of Cloverfield imo.

Back to the Future movies including the first one- I don’t want to pick on M J Fox but he’s a tv actor to me. Not enough star power for me to sit through a movie that’s riding on his shoulders.

Forrest Gump: I have always thought that the better movie would have been the girl’s story. I find it stupid beyond belief the idea that this guy stumbles his way through not just historical events(hey, people WERE there after all) but as the center of attention through these events. He doesn’t just serve in Vietnam, he singlehandedly…yeah, it just offends the hell out of me for some reason.

I looked over the IMDB list 3 times and, having seen decent majority of those, I am having a hard time finding 3 I hate.

Can I just say Titanic x 3? Even though it is not on that list.

No script!? Yeah, you may want to explain this one a bit more.

You do understand that Forrest Gump is a fantasy, yes? What you’re frothing at isn’t some incidental detail, it’s the entire point of the movie. It’s like going into an action movie and complaining that the hero doesn’t get killed by the hundreds of guys shooting at him. Does that offend you too?

Geeze… some people in this thread are just broken.

I know you weren’t replying to me directly but in my defence, I’m not American so that probably colours my perception of Forrest Gump. Then again, I don’t actually hate the film, just the idea of it.

American History X is one that I hate as well because it doesn’t really say anything insightful about its subject matter. Racism is wrong! Nazis can be reformed as long as they’re raped by other Nazis and meet funny black men in prision! And write essays for class!