3x3: restroom scenes that aren't gross

I was going to put Kalifornia down for a gross one. The catheter was kind of gross/shocking to me. Though now that I think of it, I was probably Too Young to be seeing that movie when I did.

I finally watched this film–as those of you into the ‘frame game’ thread already know–and so wanted to post about it here, since here is where I got the recommendation.

I’m so pleased Tom recommended this film in the podcast, and I have to reinforce his point from that thread that it’s probably not what you think it is–if ever it was on your radar–and you should definitely give it a go. If for no other reason than the fact that Tupac Shakur’s performance is a freaking revelation. I really had no opinion of him before, just a vaguely held impression of him as an artist who died young. Seeing this film, then, is a poignant exercise. I’m left with the missed feelings of happy discovery and, if I dare use the adjective, profound loss.

There is more to the film than that, however. Much more. It really deserves to be seen. And discussed. I hope more of you will see it and we can start a thread and discuss it.

Also, there’s two great restroom scenes in this film. It’s possible the first one doesn’t escape the “gross” caveat, but I love the way it is filmed.

Good call, Tom.

-xtien

“…and we really don’t know what to do.”

It’s a great bit of character development, too, in terms of establishing the rapport among the characters. I love not just how it’s shot, but how that scene plays out. You almost never see characters going to the bathroom in a movie, because it’s almost never relevant. But that first bathroom scene in Gridlock’d is totally relevant.

-Tom