3x3: scenes obsoleted by technology

Re: Tom’s diss of Children of Men, most cars in the UK are manual.

My understanding is that most cars outside the U.S. are stick, but I may be wrong about that.

Not a movie but I did get a chuckle from TV. I am re-watching The X-Files and in the pilot episode Mulder out lines a case to Scully through the use of a rotary slide presentation. Now thats old school.

Obviously a lot of the computer tech in Wargames is obsolete, but when I saw it again recently I was struck by something else.

There’s a sequence where Matthew Broderick tracks down scientist-dude by spending days doing research at the library. There’s a big montage of him paging through old magazines, using the card catalog, looking at microfiche, and otherwise putting in a huge amount of effort to do what today we’d do with a simple Google search.

As someone who does a lot of research work for a living, you’d be amazed at how much microfiche and card catalog work we still do to track down folks who were in and out of the news before L’Age D’Google.

I can’t help but think of the Zodiac cipher being crowd-sourced to Reddit and solved in under an hour.

That’s the best one yet. Crowd sourcing has undermined so many time & resource problems.