3x3: sneezes in movies

No. Seriously. We discuss our favorite sneezes in movies at the 1:36 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of The Magnificent Seven.

Tom Chick
3. Outbreak
2. Innerspace

1. Annie Hall

Dingus
3. Jurassic Park
2. Top Secret

1. The Tall Guy

Kelly Wand
3. Annie Hall
2. Top Secret

1. Bad Santa

What are your favorite…uh…uh…uh…sneezes in movies? Listen to us go on about ours, and hear Kelly Wand read some listener picks, including one listener who totally nails the same picks as one of us!

Send in your choices for the next topic to [email protected].

The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three - the original

Hot Shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KDviXJCfHg

Someone explain the context of the Taking of Pelham sneeze. I vaguely recall that it’s how Walter Matthau knows something something something about someone something.

-Tom

[spoiler]Martin Balsam is driving the hijacked subway train because he was fired from his job as a motorman. During the hostage negotiations he would sneeze every so often, and Matthau, who was the negotiator would offer a reflexive Gasundheit.over the radio.

In the end Balsam is the only hijacker to make it out alive, and he’s stashed a quarter of a million in his oven. Matthau and Jerry Stiller, on a hunch, are checking up on ex-motormen fired for cause. The final scene[/spoiler]

I’m glad Innerspace was picked. That was the first one that came to mind for me.

Get it?

-xtien

Hmm, I didn’t remember how tenuous that Taking of Pelham 1…2…3 final scene was. So a dude sneezes and Matthau knows it’s the hijacker? No one else in New York City sneezes? I call plot hole!

-Tom

If we dismiss movies based on plot holes, that’s a lot of dismissing. The movies is so good otherwise (in a cheeseball 70’s way) I’m willing to cut it a little slack. It probably helps if you grew up/lived in NYC at the time.

That Walter Matthau bloodhound face is classic.

It was a very recognizable sneeze.

Big - with the silly string

Aw. I love that. It works for barf too!

-xtien

“No…it was the pork rinds.”

I just don’t think a simple sneeze earns the stone-cold bloodhound stare Matthau is throwing out. So I’m officially calling it: the Tony Scott remake is better.

-Tom

Be that way. I’ll just use it again for the 3x3 of suicides in a subway tunnel.

Ha! My trap worked! Next: get Tom to admit that Deus Ex was a good game.

I’m late to the thread and this is not a movie, but I think this scene from Community deserves an honorable mention.