3x3: stairs in movies

We discuss our favorite stairs in movies at the 1:56 mark of the Qt3 Movie Podcast of Wonder Woman.

Tom Chick
3. El incidente (The Incident)
2. Notorious

1. Sunset Boulevard

Kelly Wand
3. The Untouchables
2. The Beach Girls

1. The Music Box

Dingus
3. L.A. Story
2. A History of Violence

1. Singin’ in the Rain

What are your favorite stairs in movies? Not stares. And not escalators. Stairs. Steps. That kind of thing. Listen to the podcast to hear us go on about ours and to hear Tom wax poetic about grandpa movies and to hear Dingus read a bunch of great listener picks.

Send in your choices for the next hilarious topic to [email protected]

The iconic Exorcist Georgetown steps:

Only one that comes to mind right now is Frozen, but I’ll get back to you on my picks later. ;)

Home Alone:
(couldn’t find a good video for this, but this is it sort of)

and

and

Robin Hood: Men in Tights:

Vertigo (this was also my choice for the overhead shot 3x3)

Stairs also make for a great sword fight set, as in The Adventures of Robin Hood

Dang, rhamorim. I freaking love this pick! I’m so bummed it didn’t even occur to me. And I just referenced this for Kelly’s chandelier topic.

I so love that you got me to listen this again today. It made my day much better.

Good pick.

-xtien

“It’s funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small.”

Ghostbusters -

“Where do these stairs go?”

“they go up”

“They go up.”

Edit: Pyperkub, you big jerk.

Thanks for the pic tho!

I’m really glad it made you that happy! I love that scene so much, and the stairs not only mark a key moment in the scene and song, but they feature prominently in the movie later. If you say “movie” and “stairs”, Frozen and The Untouchables are what will come to mind immediatelly, and since The Untouchables had been mentioned already, I just had to mention Frozen.

I’ll think about more picks, but I assure you none will be as uplifting as this particular one. :)

I’ll also throw in Robocop with the ED-209’s stair issues:

Hah, that’s a great pick!

You are absolutely on point. I kept thinking of moments where the stairs might break, and a character almost falls through. Or the old stairs leading up to the attic in Beetlejuice for instance. (There’s a couple of cool instances of stairs in that movie, come to think of it.)

But her stair construction in Frozen and what happens later is my new favorite.

-xtien

1. Labyrinth (cheesy and stolen from Escher, but, come on, it’s Labyrinth. And Escher. And Bowie!)
  2. Vertigo
  3. Battleship Potempkin

Damn! Beaten by 17min! This is the first thing I thought of did this topic. I fucking love that movie!

I love that just looking at that frame generates the sound of the feet trying to gain purchase on those stairs in my head.

-xtien

Animal House

I gave my love a cherry
That had no stone.
I gave my love a chicken
That had no bone.
I gave my love a story
That had no end.
I ga…
[Guitar ripped away and violently smashed to pieces]
[Blutarski just shrugs and continues upstairs]

Always loved this scene in The Big Lebowski, and the checkered pattern works in so many ways.

This exterior steps in Spirited Away came to mind, particularly the way Chihiro starts creeping down them carefully before slipping and panic dashing down them into the wall.

Struggling for a solid third.

e: damn, beaten by minutes on Lebowski!

When I think stairs in The Exorcist, I think Spiderwalk, although I guess that was a deleted scene originally.

Inception’s Penrose stairs. How often do you get to hear “Paradox!”, delivered Arnold-style as a guy gets tossed to his death?

John Wick 2 - Fight scene with Cassian

Yankee Doodle Dandy - Cagney tap dancing down the stairs:
http://imgur.com/8xnoQG9.gif

Surf Ninjas