3x3: your name used in a movie

Dammit. My name is Ismael, a Hispanic variant of Ishmael. I’ve never seen a movie with my name in it (clearly I should watch more films of Hispanic origin). Everyone calls me Ish, though. Meaning my fuckin pick has to be Kingpin. My friends chuckled throughout that film as Quaid’s affable big galoot kept getting called Ish by Harrelson’s con man.

Dude, who needs a movie that makes it weird when it uses your name when you’ve got it with one of the greatest literary works of all time.

-Tom

Yeah, but Ishmael never feels the same as Ismael.

When I was a child, my mother and grandmother used to call me “Little Nicky” all the time. Imagine my annoyance later in life.

Hey guys, I’m here to use this thread all wrong.

Forza Horizon 3.

You select your name at the outset—it’s got a large library of common names and nicknames—so the announcer can actually speak your name. But then it almost never happens. You get instructions all the time about the next event or race you’re heading toward, but it’s only after very specific events (I think it’s when you upgrade your festival sites) that your festival coordinator (or whatever she is) says to you “Great job Chris, now you can blah blah blah!”

This all sounds unremarkable, but the weird effect of how it’s implemented means it happens just rarely enough that every time she calls me Chris, it’s jarring because I’ve forgotten that the game knows my name.

Okay, back to movies. I do remember some instance of a character talking to someone named Chris and it distracting me, but I can’t recall anything about the movie. I think it was some cute actress I had a crush on talking to someone named Chris though, so I’m pretty sure that’s why it got my attention.

Much to my surprise, this was kind of easy for me:

1. Tony Manero-Saturday Night Fever

2. Tony Stark-Iron Man

3. Tony Montana-Scarface

Tony

Closest I can come up with is the name of Navin Johnson’s dog.

This one’s easy for me:

The Bourne _______

Friday the 13th, Part _____

Jason and the Argonauts

So many. A couple I like:

Richard Kimble, The Fugitive
Richard Nixon, The Watchmen

Many ‘Dicks’ out there. I never liked that. I’ve always thought that it made no sense. While discussing it with the wife she said, “Yeah. How do you get Dick from Richard?” I replied, “Maybe a nice dinner. A few drinks. Chocolates are always nice…”

Hey, this is a tough one! My name is underutilized by scriptwriters. Oh, there are plenty of interesting name-brothers in real life, both in front of and behind the camera. There’s Murray, McCrea, McHale, Edgerton, for instance, and my statehood idols Hodgson and Coen. (We will skip Schumacher. And Rifkin.) So when my name is used as a character’s name, I sit straight up in the theater seat, because it is odd and rare.

In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Jim Carrey’s wonderfully quirky ex-girlfriend is often calling his name as he erases her from his memory. He is a bookish introvert, secretly romantic, willing to go to great lengths to find the right girl. You got the feeling that his face could be rubbery but he reins it in most of the time. He hangs out in bookstores. When I saw this movie, I was getting over a longish-term breakup. I thought I had a lot in common with this guy. Charlie Kaufmann must have saddled this character with that name because it’s pretty uncommon but not weird.

In Adventureland, the post-Freaks & Geeks, pre-Silicon Valley, roughly-contemporary-Party Down star Martin Starr is not quite content to be the sidekick, though he is certainly not the hero of this story. He doesn’t get the Twilight girl, he’s interested in studying literature, he is less annoying than Jesse Eisenberg. He has learned the ways of the world by looking at it quietly through thick spectacles from a corner of a room. I’ve never worked in an amusement park, and his character must have been ten years older or so than me, but I also had a soft spot for him, even though he’s basically the sidekick. I hope he got a grad degree in Russian Literature and went on to find happiness and maybe founded a dot-com startup in the '90s.

Finally, I hear they’re making a movie based on the video game The Last Of Us. I’ve refused to play that game, even though I’ve heard good things about it. Why? Because I have a little sister named Ellie. I don’t want to play through a whole game where a Joel keeps a vulnerable Ellie out of danger, no matter how rugged and capable the hero is. I think it sounds too emotionally wrenching. But if the movie adaptation is good, maybe I’ll go see it.

Runner-up: Well, this is for a Loel or Lowell, but there was one of the annoying kids in Schwarzenegger’s Kindergarten Cop. He was the one that, when Arnie complained of a headache, replied, “It might be a tumor.” It’s not a tumah, but that pale kid with the rings under his eyes and the bleak worldview really appealed to me the first seven times I saw that movie. His name was close enough to mine, too.

I always play 3x3 in my head but for this one… no person in the world, real or fictional has my full name. I tried IMDB:

No results found for “my name here
Search category: All Characters

I have two first names, no hits on either. The joys of living in an island nation of just over 300,000 people I suppose.

Who do I contact for a refund for this 3x3,

I share a name with this guy:

http://i.imgur.com/NtNyxgS.jpg

I mean, I SEE that your name is Joshua, but I’d prefer to believe your name is Whopper.