4K TV recommendations, advice?

LOL. Literally, pretty much.

I got a chance to see both at the local Best Buy, because I thought all things considered I might go with the Q6F. But honestly they were so close in picture quality that I could tell – I’m not one who freaks out too much about blacks being too bright on a set, so YMMV – and that got me thinking.

And then honestly yeah, it was the marginal price difference. I ended up thinking if it was worth a it for me personally for the Q, and I couldn’t talk myself into it with much enthusiasm. And then discovering I could get the NU delivered and set up early in the week rather than wait on the weekend pretty much sealed it. I’m exactly that shallow sometimes about purchasing decisions. :D

LOL, I think I would have made the same decision. When I catch myself overanalyzing, I try to focus on pragmatic factors that will give me a sufficient warm and fuzzy to push me off the fence into a purchase. More convenient delivery is exactly one of those factors.

How was the BB delivery and set up service? I think we could fit the 55" box into our larger vehicle but haven’t measured.

I’m actually having more trouble settling on a new TV stand that we both like, as our current one is too small for the 55" set. Sigh.

A few months ago I ordered the NU8000. Then amazingly, the day after I got it, I got an e-mail from Best Buy saying “You might be interested in this”. It was the Q6F for the same price as the sale price NU8000 I’d just gotten. So I exchanged it, and Best Buy brought the new one out and packed up the old one and took it back. It is beautiful.

One thing I was not prepared for, and it might be completely my mind’s-eye playing tricks on me: even regular HD content – not 4k UHD – looks so much better on this than it did on a 1080p set.

I was using my 4k TV for about a year in 1080p before I realized I wasn’t ever actually watching 4k. (Some issue with the firetv/cables or whatever). I only had a clue when I read that 4k content on netflix shows HDR icons.

Yeah, I have a hard time actually telling the difference between most 1080p content and 4K on my 70" set, even fairly close. Can’t wait till they try to convince me that 8K is the next big step!

I can only tell on moving content if I walk right up to the TV and look really closely. It’s much easier if you freeze-frame, but how realistic is that?

I do think tech like HDR, OLED, and Dolby ATMOS bring a lot to the table. But I’d love for more 4K content.

I really, truly, don’t care about 4k for movies and videogames. High DPI displays are great for reading, but for moving content I just can’t see any difference.

HDR is the thing that makes shows super dark because it’s buggy sometimes?

It’s relatively subtle, but I can detect it, and I’m by no means particularly sensitive to visual fidelity. To the extent that I was really confused when Star Trek Discovery aired on Netflix, as it was as far as I know the first non-4K HDR content on the service, and I couldn’t work out why it didn’t look quite right, until I looked it up.

We have two 4K TVs, a Samsung one with their custom UI, and the wirecutter TCL recommendation that uses ROKU.

I much prefer the TCL with the Roku interface. It was also a couple-hundred bucks cheaper than the Samsung.

Yep, wirecutter loved the TCL 5 series.

I can confirm that I also love the TCL 5 series.

I can instantly tell the difference with true 4k content shot on a decent camera with proper lighting. It’s amazing.

But I haven’t bothered upgrading my main TV to 4k because the source material is just not there. Even movie transfers has been blah. Toss in high compression rates and I can’t tell the difference between 1080p half the time myself.

I really couldn’t disagree more with this. I’ve watched some of the Spielberg stuff at 4k and also Larry of the Arabs at 4K, and in both cases when I compare the 2160p resolution to the 1080 blu-rays I own on a 1080 tv, the difference is dramatic. Like it was when I originally went from SD to 720 HD.

Of course there are examples that show 4k is a big jump up, but for the most part I have been unimpressed. When/if that changes is going to be a personal decision and it’s just not there for me. I don’t know if they just suck at transferring from film stock or if they are reusing an old transfer most of the time.

But yes, a proper transfer to 4k is a thing of beauty.

I guess this thread is obsolete now?

8K I think is another example of these companies getting out too far ahead of society. Sure, we saw early 1080p HDTVs years before there was much content, and we were seeing 4K TVs before there was any 4K content, but there was already a ton of 1080p content by then.

We’re now seeing 8K TVs before there’s even a lot of 4K content. In fact, the only 4K stuff is from Netflix and Amazon, really. All the major US networks are still using 1080i or 720p!

Is it different internationally? Is there a bunch of 4K content there?

On top of that, out of the limited 4K content available on Netflix and Amazon, how many customers in the US both A) have the bandwidth to stream it and B) won’t blow out their data caps in the process?

I know this was a reason why Google was pushing fiber. The shitty state of our internet infrastructure and artificial data caps kills a lot of progress in this area.

But seriously, I’ve had a 4K TV for years but I think I’ve only ever watched one 4K program (a movie I picked up specifically to check it out). I already see very little gain going from 1440p to 4K, I can’t imagine 4K to 8K is going to knock my socks off.

Guess they have to keep trying to come up with something to get people to buy new TVs, but I’m not seeing this moving the needle at all.