Ultima
Fallout
Civ
Elder Scrolls
Warcraft

In no particular order.

1. The Witcher series.
  2. Baldur’s Gate series.
  3. Tropico series except for 5 which is awful.
  4. Ultima series.
  5. Elder Scrolls.

Damn, how could I forget Baldur’s Gate?

Frankly, with two games, it feels hardly like a series!

Ah sorry, forgot the console ARPGs! I take it back.

The Dark Alliance games were pretty fun.

I was considering it, but I left it off as it seemed a bit too short (2x game, 2x expansion).

If ‘Infinity Engine RPGs’ could be considered a series, then no contest – but I guess it can’t.

Still trying to decide if I want to bump AoE and put Thief in its place…

This is tough!!! Let’s see…

• Baldur’s Gate

• Might and Magic

• Final Fantasy

• Dragon Quest

• The Elder Scrolls

And i HAVE to cheat and put a 6th…

• Megami Tensei (includes Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor)

Or fuck it, let’s call 6 - 10 the runners up:

• Megami Tensei

• Resident Evil

• Legend Of Zelda

• Metroid

• Fallout

This shouldn’t be too hard:

1. Thief - Particularly the first two. Just amazing games: atmosphere, voice acting, game play, all of it.
  2. Tomb Raider - At least 11 of the games in this series have been amazing. The original game was one of my favorites: the first 3D platformer/puzzler ever and still one of the best. And I’m really enjoying the recent reboot as well, working my way through Shadow at present.
  3. Half-life - Even though it’s only 2 installments and 2 episodes, these are still the best first person shooters ever.
  4. Zachtronics - Does this count as a series? These are the best puzzle/programming games. Consistently excellent in presentation and brain burning. Zach games are the only games I pre-order, sight unseen, as soon as they’re announced.
  5. Dark Souls - Nothing more needs to be said.

Runners up: Ultima, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin’s Creed, Uncharted

From my personal point of view, I’d have something like this:

1. Diablo
  2. Civilization
  3. Crusader Kings
  4. The Elder Scrolls
  5. Call of Duty

…with Fallout and the Gold Box games just barely missing the cut. It feels a bit criminal to leave Fallout off, but I have to admit that I got way more enjoyment out of CoD multiplayer than any series not in the top 4. Spots 2-4 are basically tied in my book, depending on what I’ve played the most recently.

If I wanted to wed overall impact / importance to my own preferences, I’d probably have to swap Mario, Warcraft, and Fallout in for the last 3.

I’m still waiting for Half Life 3. Loved both of the games so much.

This is a fantastic pick. I’d definitely consider his games a series. ;)

The Sims
Elite
Europa Universalis
Steel Panthers
Wargame: (Red Dragon etc)

Impressions City Builders
Anno
Ultima
Team ICO games (cheating?)
Civilization

Good shout for impressions & Anno there.

No mention of Dominions or Panzer General? I just don’t know this Forum anymore.

Oh fuck I am a literal villain for leaving this out of my list.

Civilization
Tomb Raider
Fallout
Elder Scrolls
Total War
X-Com

Taking a permissive definition of “series”, and looking for the ones that would place at least three separate games on my personal top-100 list…

1. Souls (King’s Field: The Ancient City, Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne)
  2. Might & Magic (IV: Clouds of Xeen, V: Darkside of Xeen, HoMM II, HoMM III, Clash of Heroes, X: Legacy)
  3. Final Fantasy (I, IV, V, VI, XIII)
  4. Zelda (tLoZ, A Link to the Past, Majora’s Mask, A Link Between Worlds, Breath of the Wild)
  5. Infinity Engine (Baldur’s Gate I & II, Torment, Icewind Dale)

Honorable Mention:

• Heaven and Earth (ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Terranigma)
  • Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword, Path of Radiance)
  • Civilization (II, Alpha Centauri, IV)
  • Age of Wonders (II, Shadow Magic, III)
  • Megami Tensei (Nocturne, Devil Survivor)
  • Castlevania (Rondo of Blood, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia)
  • Mario (3, World, Yoshi’s Island, Galaxy, 3D World)
  • Ys (Oath in Felghana, Origin)
  • Mystery Dungeon (Shiren I, Shiren V, Torneko)

What’s that on your face?? A freshly twirled mustache!!

Would it be pedantic of me to argue that M&M and HoMM should be considered different series?