5 best video game series of all time

Arguing that M&M and HoMM are one series is the pedantic take, I think! And I’d be one to argue for that pedantic point of view to be the right one: I seem to remember the two series taking place in the same world, and referring to events happening in both series.

After HoMM 5, didn’t a world change occur?

But by that logic, does that mean all Star Wars games are the same series?

To me a breakdown along genre lines seems more reasonable.

I must confess HoMM4 lost me :(

I did specifically say I was taking a permissive definition. I waffled a bit over how to count it, but decided that even though the gameplay is different, the fact that they shared a lot of development team, creatures, and lore / storyline was enough to squeak by.

Serves me right for skipping the preamble, which is usually the best part! (See: Constitution, U.S.)

If Starwars were a game series, fine with me! But it’s just a license.

Hey, I just caught you editing that one in! And what a wonderful pick, I wished I’d have thought about it.

HoMM 5 is the second best HoMM game out there. After HoMM 3.

The coolest thing about HoMM 5 (with Tribes of the East) is that you have 2 upgraded choices for each of the 7 tiers. And that is after if cast off HoMM 4, and stuck with the old HoMM 3 formula.

Anyway, if you don’t care about the Campaign, Tribes of the East is a stand alone Expansion with all the town’s and the new upgrade goodness.

1. Witcher
  2. Fallout
  3. Deus Ex
  4. Metal Gear Solid
  5. Mass Effect

Man, Castlevania might be 6 for me… forgot about that.

Genre similarity is important, but I think it’s not absolutely required if there’s enough of a locus of other connections. Don’t think I can quantify that, but M&M VI and HoMM 2 just feel more connected to one another than, say, X-Wing and KotOR.

Also, just for you, since you made me think about it more, I edited in Clash of Heroes to my list.

You are a man of taste.

I was busy earlier! West coast man, we start later than you all ;)

So my five:

1. Metroid
  2. Europa Universalis
  3. Total War
  4. Legend of Zelda

These are all gimmes. Either series with multiple 100+ hour play times (EU has multiple 300+, no other series even has one), or ones I’ve played several entries to completion many times. Prime 1 I’ve played through to completion at least a dozen times. I’ve played every Zelda up through Twilight Princess at least twice.

Five is hard. Mario gets a solid consideration. Final Fantasy gets several strong looks. The Witcher nearly gets a nod on the strength of 3 alone, but is dinged because high fantasy. The Lucasarts space combat games are damn close, X-wing vs TIE Fighter Balance of Power probably cracks top 10 all time for me. Unity of Command has a chance if the sequel stands up to the original. Close Combat has a certain nosatalgia for me. If Zachtronics gets a nod, I also want to put Supergiant up there too. The Dark Forces games come real close, hitting that sweet spot of playing them when I was 14. It was the most amazing thing at 14.

But in the end I have to go with
5. Mass Effect

Space opera is my jam. The first has an amazing world building setup that later entries squander. But oh I do so love that world. The contact war, the genophage, the council, the Citadel, it feels like a true and believable universe in a way so many games fail. And even when the main story goes to crap coughcollectorscough they present still wonderful things. The genophage cure quest in ME2? I literally had to get up and pace the room. That’s what I love for in games like that.

I’ve played through ME1 at least 6 times. Repetitive planets and terrible rank controls did nothing to abate how much I enjoyed exploring that universe.

I really can’t object to most of these games on people’s list.

Heh, yeah, I almost forgot about it too. The concept of “series” doesn’t generally apply to roguelikes, so it’s easy to forget. And the Mystery Dungeon series has a lot of duds from my perspective, but I’ve had a lot of fun with those three, so glad to squeeze it in.

Good point. Ten years ago Panzer General would have been on my list but I have fallen out of love with it sadly. When I play a Panzer general game these days I cant look past it being a puzzle game vs wargame if that makes sense.

Which leads me to another list idea namely, games you fell out of love with.

That is exactly what I loved about the Panzer General games, Advance Wars too. I am way more into puzzle games than war games.

Yeah exactly. Its interesting how genres can branch over time. I feel like Panzer general looking back was one of those branches that led to Advance wars etc.

1 Assassin’s Creed - Pre-Origins
2 Mass Effect - I suppose I even like 2 enough.
3 Mario - I can’t handle the 3d ones but you can’t dispute the history of the thing.
4 Tomb Raider - All of them.
5 Civilization

Ooh, great idea!! I will pick fave game in series:

• Baldur’s Gate (BG 2)
  • Might and Magic (World of Xeen…cheating?)
  • Final Fantasy (9)
  • Dragon Quest (5)
  • The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind)