5 best video game series of all time

You got a legit LOL out of me, @Navaronegun. Golf clap.

Oh whoops, poorly annotated. Gold clap goes to @Skipper.

That was so damned engaging. Five Stars. Skipper. Bravissimo.

We need a “5 best avatar pic readings of all time” thread ASAP.

Goddamn kid can’t even make a bourbon on the rocks right.

A lack of good glassware should be a crime, for sure. :)

1. Civilization
  2. Zelda
  3. Warcraft
  4. Ultima
  5. Out of the Park Baseball (which has consumed more hours than my top 4 put together)

My only quibble was with the tiny details, but you nailed it. Filmmaker’s prerogative.

1.) It’d be Teeling (Or Macallen).

https://www.weekendnotes.com/im/004/04/teeling-whiskey-st-patricks-day-eve-party2.gif

2.) It’d be Vietnam: 1965-1975

3.) It’d be Decisive Campaigns or something (but not Panzer Corps), the state of Grognard games on PC is an issue these day. Valkyries is probable from Der Ring ohne Worte, as is Eine Alpensinfonie by Richard Strauss. Maybe Holst’s Mars for an Offensive.

I absolutely approve of this edit.

I wish I knew this one. I seem to recall a good friend who may have owned it. Said friend also had a plethora of older Avalon Hill and assorted other published war titles. I wish I had hung out with that guy more.

1. Ultima
  2. The Elder Scrolls
  3. Wizardry
  4. Fallout
  5. Wing Commander

You guys putting the Wizardry games on your list have got some serious nostalgia goggles. Have you tried any of the first five or six of them lately?

The Japanese spinoff series got some nice entries too.

I am holding a cigar while dictacting this.

No they don’t hold up well, but I did play Wiz7 and 8 in the past couple of years.

I mean, early entries in Ultima, TES, and Wing Commander don’t hold up well either.

In my opinion, early Ultima games hold up better than early Wizardry, if for no other reason than Ultima games don’t erase your characters when you wipe on a tough encounter.

Amen, brother (sister?).

Which spinoff of Wizardry do you mean? The original one (Dragon Quest) or the spinoff of the spinoff (Final Fantasy)? ;)

No tabako here. Or osake, because I don’t nomu. ;)

You are citing the Ultima spinoffs, you heretic!

More seriously, there were a couple Wizardry series in Japan, and some of those guys went to make the Elminage series after.

Is the intention to judge the games now, or when they came out / first played them? It does make a difference.

I guess I’d answer your question with a question. What value do you derive from judging anything by how awesome it was at the time it was released?

I just replayed Ultima V in the past year and it completely absorbed me. Then I played Ultima VI (for the first time ever) and it completely absorbed me. I found myself addicted to both more than I was to Pillars of Eternity, or Witcher III, for example. Not saying they are therefore better games, just that they still work.

Some games were great when you played 'em back in the day. Some are still great. Some of it depends on your head space then and now.