50's sci-fi movies

Any favourites?

Fiend without a face - Diembodied stop-motion brains sucking out people’s grey matter - can’t go wrong with that :D

Them! - Life size giant ant models? Cool!

Earth vs the Flying Saucers - Not a great film, but Harryhausen’s fx in the closing attack on Washington are a treat.

Quatermass trilogy - Classic British Sc-fi scripted by Nigel Kneale

Invaders from Mars - Martians always get a bad rap

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Classic.

Day the Earth Stood Still - Ditto.

And so many more…

Man, do I LOVE Forbidden Planet. Totally groundbreaking at the time. The horror is that it still holds up today IMO.

Wild guess:

You’re not an impressionable young child any more?

:)

Forbidden Planet is the hands down winner for old sci-fi for me.

Day the Earth Stood Still is super awesome though.

The Thing From Another World is also fantastic. AKA The Thing AKA not John Carpenters.

Speaking of Forbidden Planet, when I lived in NY in the '80s there was a wonderful comic book/sci fi/fantasy store in the East Village that took its name from the movie. They later opened a second store uptown on E. 59th. Anyone know if it’s still there?

Two other British classics:

Day of the Triffids

The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Godzilla is the King of All Monsters, and the original movie is why.

Speaking of Quartermass:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/features/quatermass.shtml

I’m sure it’ll be up on some BT sites and usenet after Saturday - will be very interesting to watch.

— Alan

Day The Earth Stood Still is probably the one that holds up the best.

The non-Carpenter Thing doesn’t have Keith David, and thus is an abomination before God.

I don’t think he was even born when The Thing From Outer Space was made, which is seen as one of the great sci-fi movies of the 50s - which broke many barriers (typically with women).

It is said that the Carpenter version is more faithful to the short story, however.

— Alan

Yeah, that’s the one I was talking about. I totally love that movie. Incredibly creepy.