6 Underground on Netflix: Michael Bay + Ryan Reynolds as Ryan Reynolds=Boom

Same here. Just give good old school action hopefully without tons of crazy CGI. Which is one of the things that has ruined action flicks like the Fast & Furious movies.

Yeah, it’s a real tragedy that we only got one amazing album from Sneaker Pimps. All the rest of their output without Kelli was pretty mediocre. And I checked out some of her solo work and that was fairly mediocre as well (though apparently she has had three solo albums now? I didn’t know that). They captured lightning in a bottle in that first album together. It’s a shame it didn’t last.

Thought it was ok, but not quite the fun romp I had hoped for based on the trailers. It’s off to a strong start with the action scene in Florence; sadly, overall the action set pieces gradually get less interesting and exciting the further you are from the movie. The magnetism gimmick doesn’t save the finale from having less punch than the intro or the caper scene.

I really like Ryan Reynolds, but he seems in a weird spot here. His character is the one driving the endeavour, the one who is invested in the most, the ones who takes it more seriously than the rest, the one who doesn’t want that people know the real names, the one that would be ready to leave a member of the team behind. Him also being the one quipping constantly feels somewhat weird. Of course, given Reynolds’s popularity and comedy chops, thr script does insist on that. He also has no one to play that off against since everyone else plays it pretty straight, and the one character who’d be potentially up for that doesn’t stick around for long.

Had fun watching this one, but agree with JD. Starts strong but loses a little with each set piece. Given that the Deadpool writers penned this for Reynolds, I hoped that it would be a little funnier. Also I never quite got the parkour’s guys part in the plans other than to get into trouble and need to create the debate of how to handle that.

Was nice to see Bay get back to the more fun rated R Bad Boys II esque stuff instead of the endless Transformers Bay.

6 underground was just dreadful. The flashback structure achieves nothing except make the first third of the movie hard to follow. All the characters are just empty suits. The action sequences are totally incoherent, there are too many characters being switched between, and there seems no arc to how the scenes unfold since they’ve all just been set up to have a steady stream of bad guys pop out of a monster closet or something.

All of the plans the team (I don’t know if I can make myself call them the good guys) are just utter rubbish. None of them make any sense, but they’re still so complicated that whoever edited this film felt they needed to put in these long voiceovers explaining the scenario. It’s like cargo culting the concept of heist movies, without understanding how a heist is supposed to play out.

I guess it’s competently shot, but something must have gone horribly wrong with either the script or the editing. This is just so incoherent even by the standards of action movies.

To say any thought was put into the premise or the characters would be a slight overstatement, I guess. I’d presume his only purpose in the movie was to be there so that there can be a parkour scene or two. Not like any of the other characters are fleshed out with the minor exception of the Hitman visiting his mother. Was there any difference between the Hitman and the CIA Spook other than the the gender? Both seem to be adept at killing people with guns. We don’t see her do any kind of spy stuff. And Reynolds’s character seems all about the team consisting of six members, but it isn’t really about specific skill set since the driver gets replaced with … a sniper? (Pretty sure Dave Franco’s character isn’t a seasoned soldier.)

Marc Maron’s WTF podcast had a stuntman on the show who very proudly recently drove the Alpha Romeo in the opening sequence in 6 Underground. So I figured I’d watch the opening sequence just to see the car chase.

Man, this is just a reminder of how much I hate Michael Bay. He has some nicely filmed stunts, and combines it in such a confusing way with weird tonal shifts (don’t run over the puppies!) full of flashbacks and on-screen text and slaps on this absolutely horrible music to tie it all together. It’s just staggering to me that this man continues to be successful and therefore continues to get work. I bet you a half-way decent editor could take these same scenes and make a nice coherent, exciting chase scene out of this mess.

I did go back and kept watching the rest of that opening car chase. I was kind of curious on how they would end it.

How they ended it is kind of hilarious. The driver dies. And for some reason, the bad guys stop pursuing them I guess? Because suddenly they cut to a boat where they’re going to give the driver a sea burial. So bizarre.

Anyway, I removed the movie from my list and gave it a thumbs down. Giving a thumbs down is so much less satisfying than giving a movie one star.

This was the best thing on Netflix I watched last night; I went in blind, and it was… 3 AM?

A frenetically amusing ensemble revenge thriller.

I like that Michael Bay waits until the end to put his name to the screen. It’s, like ‘oh yeah, this was me, I did a thing’; he probably knows he’s a running joke by now… I’ll let him have his R U not entertained?? moment. Rather than big explosions (although there was one memorable one behind freerunner guy, natch) there are flying teeth, people getting stuck to walls by magnets. It’s nuts.

I wondered if they were going to use the Sneaker Pimps.

I appreciate your stance; I think it dodged most of the bullets. I mean… it makes sense to the plot: without being plugged in to society Ryan’s character needs a way to fund all the shenanigans. It’s the Batman argument. When he “kills” himself, I remember thinking ‘well, his money is pretty much useless, now’.

Perhaps this is just my blind spot.

Like, I feel I have a similar attitude toward “Love, Death, Robots” as you do towards this film; I appreciate LDR’s artistry and technical excellence, but the series just really grates on me: I disagree with its moral message, and it’s very subtle (and I’ve seen every episode). It’s some kind of philosophical uncanny valley, and I could go on and on about it but would get very angry in the process of writing out such a diatribe, and I prefer my peace of mind atm. It’s easier to just say in the end it hits this spot that’s very unpleasant for me.