:60 Review -- Myst IV: Revelation

Myst IV: Revelation
No, not that one, dumbass!

Haw haw.

Fuck that game is HEUGE! 8 gigs? ( yes I know that it’s 3 gig for a minumum install but that means swapping discs right? )

Also, did you finish it? Or did you give up at the first set of dials?

The first ´riddle´ with the frequencies ain´t a riddle. You just got to follow his instructions. :D

What I really like about part IV is that its with so many little details that make it charming. Though I think that with a decent SMG from one of my installed FPS I could´ve ended the game earlier :D

I tried to play Riven a couple of years ago. I gave up after about 30 minutes. It would have been a much better game if they had removed all the puzzles.

I guess I simply don’t have the patience for puzzle games. As Tom Chick says - back to my FPS. :wink:

I never made it past the rocket ship in the original Myst. There was a puzzle where you had to match up tunes, and apparently I’m tone deaf.

I had trouble with Riven too, because many puzzles were of the ‘fuzzy’ kind, like matching sounds with characters to figure out the alphabet. The next Myst game (Myst: Exile), on the other hand, consisted primarily of logical puzzles. That was much more fun.

What I find amusing is that at home we do adventures and when we get stuck we consult gamefaq. And it usually is something stupid. And then we say ‘why can’t the game itself give us a clue?’ It is great to see that his has finally happened. I haven’t played Revelation yet, so it will be interesting to see how well it works.

Bye,
Steven

I would like to point out, Tom, that the Rand-in-a-puffy-shirt bit is a missed opportunity on a Seinfeld-in-a-pirate-shirt reference. And since circumspection and insight are dusty relics of a religious past replaced now with clever references to popular culture, I regard your missed opportunity to riff on a television touchstone to be an almost unpardonable sin.

I’m pretty sure that by simply calling it a “puffy shirt” Tom was referencing Seinfeld.

80% of the people i know who played myst had the exact same problem

Ironically, thast the one puzzle probably could do… the rest of the game just made me mad

Yes, these games definitely need a “trivially easy” mode, or a “gimme this puzzle” button, for those of us who just want to explore.

Myst without the puzzles.

Tom doesn’t watch teevee. He wouldn’t know a Seinfeld reference from shinola; all this talk of puffy shirts is lost on him.

-Amanpour

Just this semester I picked up the Myst collection (Myst, Riven, Exile) and Uru with the expansion. I’d played through Myst and tried Riven back when both of them came out and for some reason I was hit by nostalgia recently. Going back through Myst was fun because it was a trip down Hypercard–I mean memory lane, going through Riven was a pain. It was a beautiful game, but I didn’t like the puzzles in Riven at all really. I’d never played Exile before, and I was quite happily surprised by it after Riven. I agree with Zteven, the puzzles were more logical.

Uru’s a mess. It feels a little incomplete with the online component missing. The included manual is useless, so I’m left going places and doing things in the game with a sense of uncertaintity. I’m not sure what features and locations actually mean anything in the context of the game that’s there and what bits are left over from functionality axed with the online component (additionally, there’s no distinction between original content and that added by the expansion in the combined edition; I’d like to do things vaguely in order but it appears expansion content is available from the get-go).

It’s got some other un-myst feeling moments that were jarring. It seems to be divided into a few key ages, much like the other games of the series, but for the first time I believe there are things you can’t do within those ages without doing things in other ages. Previously, while the methods to access the ages may have overlapped, once you were in them they were all independantly completable.

And the 3D world and interface is nice, but makes for retarded puzzles, like the fireflies and baskets. Ugh. I’m still playing it, so I can’t make a final comparison to the other games yet; it’s certainly unique but I’m not sure if it’s actually progress from Myst III.

Still, curl up with a walkthrough (I’ve found the guides on uhs-hints.com to be superior to gamefaqs material) and these are some beautiful worlds you get to explore. I’ll probably get Myst IV based on that.

EDITED: All over the place for readability and coherency.

Just because I don’t have TV doesn’t mean I can’t reference things like puffy shirts, the masturbation episode, and Elaine’s dancing.

-Tom

No kidding on that first puzzle – Atrus’ “help” just gets irritating after a while.

Awww. He wants to be in on our Seinfeld references! Isn’t that cute.

I guess if I can pretend to get your references to The Office you can play Seinfeld games. :D

“Yeah, well…I really wouldn’t know about that. I don’t watch much TV. I like to read. What do you do, a lot of that ‘Did you ever notice’ kind of stuff? It strikes me a lot of guys are doing that kind of humor.”

-Amanpour

Correct.

And the 3D world and interface is nice, but makes for retarded puzzles, like the fireflies and baskets. Ugh. I’m still playing it, so I can’t make a final comparison to the other games yet; it’s certainly unique but I’m not sure if it’s actually progress from Myst III.

Still, curl up with a walkthrough (I’ve found the guides on uhs-hints.com to be superior to gamefaqs material) and these are some beautiful worlds you get to explore. I’ll probably get Myst IV based on that.

EDITED: All over the place for readability and coherency.

I’m sure you will come to find that URU is not a Myst game, but just a game set in the Myst worlds. I completed two levels before it just plain give me the shits and removed it forever. the net feature would have been nice maybe, but we all know what happened with that.

Also - the note matching puzzle in Myst was easy compared to the ‘underground maze’ , Riven was cake (best bit - riding the mining cart ) - and still one of my all time favourite games, Myst 3 was a damn fine game as well, though to be honest it just didn’t grab me as much as the other games did.

(and URU is a peice of shit)

I’m still trying to figure out why I really enjoyed the original Myst, despised Riven, and couldn’t get into Exile.