666 Park Ave

Anyone else watching this? We watched the pilot on Hulu yesterday and recorded the 2nd episode, which we will check out tonight. My reason for interest in this cheese is Terry O’Quinn, who can bring teh awesome to almost anything.

The notion that something evil is going on in these old Manhattan brownstones goes back to Rosemary’s Baby, and a TV show about one such apartment building that may or may not be owned by the devil could be intriguing. Unfortunately, this is not that show. It’s more Devil’s Advocate than Ira Levin, and the show’s title is a good indication of how subtle it is. Even before the opening credits on the pilot appear on screen, there is no doubt as to O’Quinn’s character (could he be…SATAN? Dun dun DUUUUNNNNNNNN), and the only real mystery is the reason for his interest in the couple who he hires as live-in building managers.

I thought the pilot threw too much at the wall hoping something would stick (Don’t care for the story about the playwrite? Well, here’s a guy committing murder so Satan will return his dead wife to him. And if that doesn’t do it, check out these glyphs in the tile floor in the basement. Don’t forget the killer elevator. And so on.) It would have been a lot more effective if it had focused on a couple of characters and let O’Quinn’s true nature develop over the season, rather than bludgeon the audience with it.

One (very small) part Rosemary’s Baby, a big helping of Devil’s Advocate, and a little American Horror Story mixed in for seasoning, and you’ve got something that can be pretty entertaining (O’Quinn!) if you don’t think about it too hard and there’s nothing better on.

There was some discussion about this show in the “Fall TV premiers” thread, where I said much the same thing you did. The pilot was definitely too busy and I was surprised they went straight for the supernatural without any buildup. However, the cast and produciton values are good and the show has some potential. I’m not convinced O’Quinn’s Satan, though–why would he limit himself to one building in New York? It seems more likely that he’s a corrupted human/demon/whatever.

I haven’t watched episode 2 yet, but probably will tonight.

I haven’t watched the second episode yet either, but we’ll probably watch it tonight.

Like I said in the other thread, I actually liked that the show isn’t dicking around with keeping O’Quinn’s evil or the supernatural element a mystery. He’s evil and there are definitely supernatural things going on. It’s nice to get a genre show that doesn’t hang around with a JJ Abrams style quandry as the main story. Just tuck in and get to it.

I also commented on the Devil’s Advocate parallels. All we need is O’Quinn’s character to chew scenery in front of a giant bas relief and the homage will be complete.

On the other hand, I don’t see this show lasting too long. Either the main characters go through their lives oblivious to the evil which is dumb, or they catch on and then for some contrived reason don’t leave which is all kinds of stupid.

Watched the first couple of episodes, but don’t know how much longer it has. One big issue is that the Devil is just so…involved… in everything. The interesting thing about the devil isn’t that he can magic you into a wormhole in your wall that leads to hell, the interesting thing is that he can trick you into sending yourself to hell. He isn’t playing enough psychological games for that.

The basement stuff is pretty rote horror movie stuff, and I’m not really getting any motivation from the lead girl as to why she’s so interested in it. “Oh, the nightmare cellar? Yeah, I love going down there and plan to spend lots of time there, why do you ask?”

It seems like this might work as a 2 hour movie, and they’re playing with horror movie tropes more-so than horror tropes. So I’m not sure how long they can keep that up in an interesting way.

Also, he’s so obviously evil, that I basically keep expecting him to do the Futurama robot devil bit:
“Man, I’d do anything for a hotdog.”
“…aaaaaaaaanything?”

That’s the thing with everything being revealed in the first episode - it’s like the producers are suffering flopsweat and feel they better get everything in while they still can.

Like, oh, the contract they signed without reading it first, perhaps?

Speaking of which, I was amazed that the nub on the pen didn’t break off and stab her finger resulting in a drop of blood landing on the contract.

I wanted to be generous to the show writers and assume the contract is just a red herring: it’s a perfectly standard real estate lease and that it never comes up again.

We’ll see.

That would be nice, but having seen the first episode, I doubt that the writers are that subtle and that willing to tweak the audience’s collective noses.

I’ve seen four episodes now, and I’m still enjoying this show even though it’s nowhere near great, just decent. If the writers gave some of their characters a bit more intelligence, it would help greatly. For example, the journalist given the power to make her articles become reality was insanely dumb. Why didn’t she just write Kandinsky out of existence once she escaped instead of going to her editor’s home? Or, at the very least, call the cops and warn them he was in danger? Instead of exploring the ramifications of an incredible power, the writers cursed her character with idiocy and then killed her off. On the flip side, the leads are more believable and the interactions between them are interesting. How much Vanessa Williams’ character knows is a question that I’ll enjoy seeing explored further, especially after the revelations about her daughter.

Canceled!

That’s too bad but I sort of thought that was going to happen. The show is our guilty pleasure … it’s so dumb that we mock it as we watch BUT some of the characters were likeable enough that we kept coming back.

Other than Terry O’Quinn the show didn’t have a lot going for it.