6th best game of 2019: Field of Glory: Empires

Well I definitely have to try this. I always tend to play the same way; smash enough natives to get enough 3rd world resources, out-tech & out-industry the AI majors, keep at least par with their militaries/navies and either conquer or in many cases just absorb both minors & majors through grants.

Your strategy sounds interesting and worth a go for some variety.

I never had any luck bothering with minor nation diplomacy in Imp2. The council vote victory condition from Imp1 is gone, so there’s no reason to get on their good side.

The other niggling flaw in Imp 2 is that darn tin resource. You NEED at least one source in your home country or the game is basically unwinnable.

Well other than you can bribe them to join your empire. But that’s a long game.

Yes; as you will know you can trade for it but not always and it’s an unreliable source so while it may suffice at the start when your economy is small it isn’t enough mid-term.

tl;dr - You can edit fonts in FOGE, but when I tried this, I lost audio!

I’m enjoying Field of Glory Empires, but the font sure is small. In the main dir/System folder is a file called ‘font text’ or some such. If you edit it to increase font heights, presto, you get bigger fonts. At least I do on my monitor, playing at 1280 x 800.

Alas, this is not a perfect fix. Some bigger fonts work well, but some clip or overlap other things. I’m still experimenting to figure out what can be easily increased (a, e.g.) and what not. If you try this, back up the file first, and maybe add just 2 to a few font sizes for starters.

More worrisome, now I have no audio. I’ve exited and re-entered the game multiple times; maybe that’s why? Verifying my files didn’t help; Steam just replaced the default fonts.txt file, and I still have no audio – and tiny fonts again. Maybe I’ll reboot, and if that doesn’t help, reinstall. But tomorrow; too late now.

I do agree that the font is bad. I’m very sensitive about those things; e.g. I’ve only spent couple of hours with Age of Mythology remaster, then I’ve made a font mod, tested it and shelved the game. I’m surprised font mods are not popular, I can only see them in Paradox games where playbase is huge and shipped fonts are not adequate at all.

Here I too see some font mods. The problem is not just the size of those fonts but the typeface they chose. Field of Glory 2 - a game that FoGE devs have certainly played - uses much more readable if a little bit plain sans serif font. FoGE uses a font that’s not exactly bold but too heavy for some reason. There’s a mod switching the font to Century Gothic but really it just replaces TTF files so you can set up whatever you want by renaming fonts.

Thanks for the link to that font mod. For now, I’m content with just adjusting the size of the tooltip fonts.

I managed to fix my audio trouble; I had somehow unchecked “audio enabled,” doh.

Random comment: One of the music tracks reminds me of a track from Star Trek Online. Not necessarily a huge compliment, heh.

So I had my first real extended session with this game today, and I see why people enjoy it so much. Playing as Rome, I have subdued or vassalized my immediate neighbors, but I’ve had to do so at a controlled pace to maintain a balance between territorial gains and development (both cultural and economic). The game sets new goals for my Republic depending on which direction I go. E.g., if I keep pushing south, I get more objectives that direction; if north, more there.

I also really enjoy the randomized construction system. (Each turn, you can’t be sure what possible building projects will be available. You have to choose from what’s currently available or “reshuffle” the deck and wait a turn or two.)
Such a simple innovation can make a game really seem fresh. Some people don’t like this sort of thing, but I think it makes decisions more interesting. (Besides, you can make a realism case for it: for political or economic or weather-related reasons, this year the only feasible massive construction projects are x, y or z.)

I had planned to play a smaller state, like Epiros, but I’m now hooked on this Rome game, so on I go…

That’s cool to hear, I passed again this sale because I decided to see if i can make sense of Deity Empires. While the two games might not seem like they’re connected in anyway, for me it was a choice of which rabbit hole I wanted at this point to go down.

But I know for a fact I’m ultimately going to tackle this one as well.

Multiplayer is a lot of fun, too, if you get a mellow crowd and take starting countries which are roughly equal in power, or give the smaller guys time to grow.

I’ve played with Slitherine forum people, and some games have ended in recriminations, while some have been very rewarding. It would be well suited as a Qt3 forum game, if it achieved critical mass here.

Heh, we have similar tastes, because I’m also interested in Deity Empires. I’m hoping there will be another sale. In the meantime, FOGE is keeping me entertained.

I could see this working well in multiplayer. Each turn has a couple interesting decisions, but they don’t take a lot of time. I imagine the games move along at a reasonable clip.

Checking this out. I didn’t realize it was made by AGEOD! or “The other Paradox” as I call them. Two companies that make grand strategy games I WANT to get into, but everything runs so much under the hood that I never did.

Started out the Rome grand campaign, am totally lost :(

Simply because I never get to say this anymore: RTFM! :)

Seriously, though, this is a game that’s not going to come together until you learn it. For your learning game, just focus on whatever objectives are set for you. And as you’re building buildings, you can build them willy nilly, but be sure to read over their tooltips to get a sense for how they work together.

And if you had a problem with Ageod games hiding stuff under the hood, Field of Glory: Empires is going to be a welcome change of pace.

-Tom

The manual includes a tutorial on the first dozen turns of a Rome campaign. It really helped me get going. It’s around chapter 15 or 17 of the manual, called “getting started.” Your early tasks are to construct improvements n each province, build some legions and other units, fight the neighbors you start at war with, and try to grok the “CDR” (culture/decadence ratio) and “legacy” rankings. The last task is a longer-term one; it took me a while to get a feel for how these rather unique mechanics work.

And yes, this game is pretty clear about its numbers. It has a boardgame quality to it.

214 pages!!! O_O

Yep, it’s an impressively detailed manual! But you don’t need to read the whole thing. I think the manual itself recommends reading the first few sections, then skipping to the “getting started” tutorial I mentioned. Or you could just start with “getting started.”

The manual is pretty great in its own right, but I got onto the game by watching Das Tactic’s Arvernii series, which explains all the basics:

I’m not usually a video person, but this is pretty good and the chap is quite personable. (I’m a 4X noob so I hadn’t heard of him prior).

Late to the party as usual and I am having a very good time learning the ropes with the Dacia faction. One thing that I could not find in the manual is when selecting a faction there are a certain number of stars for difficulty more stars means more difficult but what does interest mean and are more stars less or more challenging?

If I recall correctly, the other star rating had to do with how much content was specific to that faction. How many distinct gameplay mechanics and systems it has.

-Tom

Ah hah, thank you. My Dacian’s seem interested in rampaging across the map, racking up legacy AND bookoo decadence.