7th best game of 2019: Phoenix Point

I thought this was pretty good too, I was surprised I was the only person to vote for it in the Quarterlies.

There will be more votes for it in 2020 when it gets a genuine release on better platforms and storefronts.

They seem to have a lot of balance adjustments ahead of them. This is really a very premature 2020 release.

Gosh I wonder where terminator and revenant will fall into this list…

Wait when did they ditch randomness in aiming?

There are no “random numbers”, but there is a bit of randomness.
I asked that question to Tom in another thread, and here was his reply.

So to me, this system creates two distinctions: it makes targeting much more sensible than those tricky % numbers that have made players rage because of lacking to understand their concept. It also means you cannot miss unmissable shots, because of some raw numbers and the weird application of additions and substractions to percentage numbers found in many, many games, like a farcical “You are 3 feet away, you got a 200% hit chance, -30% weapon recoil or whatever, -80% enemy dodge skill = 90% in-game hit chance”. It could be 50%/50% for that matter, it would give the player a better sense of the two extreme outcomes (killing the target, or missing it completely) that may happen.
Just like in Valkyrie Chronicles, you still can totally miss in some unlucky streak though, but I remember in that game I hardly ever blamed the game for making me miss a sniper shot, while that’s my daily raging routine in XCOM.

Can you stop?

Correction:
“a knack for weaving together gameplay system[s] with clarity and intent”

The Epic butthurt -is- petty and grating. By “better” he must mean… Stadia and Linux? This, from me, petty hater of Microsoft’s attempts.

Can I stop what?

Speaking of other (superior) platforms, any word on a console port?

You know exactly what.

No, you know exactly what!

NO U 56

I’ll go try this game again after they fix it so I don’t get punished for actually playing the missions it provides.

DON’T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE AND SETTLE YOU BOYS DOWN!

On more substantive issues, I am most intrigued by Tom’s comments about making the strategic and tactical gameplay mesh. I agree with his critique of both Total War and XCOM in terms of “whiplash”. His point that allowing the player to choose when to transition from strategic to tactical can help sounds right to me.

One specific example that I’ve recently played a lot of is HBS’ Battletech: you can noodle about the galaxy, upgrading mechs, buying and selling gear, and getting your super-mechs ready, and you choose when to take a mission,and what kind of mission to see what your mechs can do. If you see a mission that requires adjustments to your mechs, you can retool them and advance time until they are ready (if you want to spend the precious resource of time, that is) and then for example do a mission on a desert world with custom extra-cooling-mechs etc.

Once Phoenix Point has a cooked a bit and is available on Steam (I’m too old and lazy to be arsed with these newfangled storefronts) I’m looking forward to it.

I appreciate Tom’s take on this game. It isn’t finished by any stretch of the imagination. But what is there shows that there is a deep and satisfying game already. And I love to read what Tom writes.

Did you play Snapshot’s Chaos Reborn before it was rebooted with a whole mess of randomness? Because that’s how Phoenix Point works.

You got this backwards Tom. The original CR was full of randomness. The added Law mode got rid of most randomness, at the cost of good gameplay.

Hmmm… I blew this game off totally… but maybe it is good? Huh. Looked like a cheap rip-off of … well, other games… . plus epic.

Maybe I shouldn’t use my stereotypic mind in a negative fashion and open up a bit. PLUS --I have a 10 dollar epic gift card…

I don’t know if it’s fair to suggest the guy who invented this kind of game has ripped off games that ripped him off in the first place :)