8 1/2

The movie started out a bit slow, although I almost immediately saw why it was Terry Gilliam slated for introduction. I also noted the brief freeze-frame filming. Why don’t more movies use this?

Either I or someone else or both mentioned a while back that Adaptation was original. WRONG ANSWER. Adaptation’s premise of making a screenplay out of the act of making a screenplay is mimiced entirely here… this is a movie out of the act of making a movie. As perfectly respectable as Adaptation was, this movie kicked its ass in every way. The last two-thirds of this film is the most beautiful cinema I’ve ever seen. I went to the bathroom partway through in a wondrous haze… I’d better check to make sure I bisected the toilet.

A movie expressing the destruction of Modernity and birth of Postmodernity with the shot under the table the transition. All you need to know about either is found in this film, if you know how to look.

While my fiancee hated this film and thought it was David Lynch-esque nonsense, I was moved the instant I had to watch this film for a undergraduate film class. 8 1/2 easily ranks as one of my favorite films, and I see it as one of the most personal, vulnerable stories ever told on the screen. This film not only inspired me to go to film school, my essays on it helped me get in. I can never say enough good things about 8 1/2, although I guess I can see that it’s not for everyone.

Adaptation was okay, but it was more like cerebral jerking off which really didn’t do it for me. If I want that type of masturbation, I can just go to the local Starbucks and eavesdrop on the high school goth kids dissecting Harry Potter.

Fellini is a master. I don’t think anybody on these boards really knows true cinema… unless it comes from Hollywood. Look, only two replies on a Fellini movie. That would mean… dont know shit about movies here.

HAHA!

etc

Either I or someone else or both mentioned a while back that Adaptation was original. WRONG ANSWER. Adaptation’s premise of making a screenplay out of the act of making a screenplay is mimiced entirely here… this is a movie out of the act of making a movie.

Aping Fellini’s 8 1/2 is almost like a rite of passage for a certain type of film-maker. Understandable, really - 8 1/2 is one of the rare instances of a creative talent painting himself into a corner and coming up with a brilliant way out. (Too bad Coppola could pull that off with Apocalypse Now.) It’s a monumental and exhilirating cinematic switcheroo, a post-modern watershed, which also happens to put the character of the director at the exact centre of universe. No wonder movie-makers like it so much.

Very few films have been subject to as many unofficial remakes (hommages, if you’re feeling generous, or rip-offs if you’re not). There’s Woody Allen’s Stardust Memories, which lifts the shot-but-never-used original opening to 8 1/2. There’s Mazurzky’s Alex In Wonderland, about which the less said the better, which went so far as to feature Fellini in a cameo. Bob Fosse used it as a touchstone for his reasonably entertaining exercise in navel-gazing, All That Jazz. And while Terry Gilliam has never referenced 8 1/2 quite as blatantly as the above examples, Gilliam would seem to be the spiritual successor to Fellini’s uniquely chaotic approach to film.

With regards to Adaptation, it’s pretty clear that both Jonze and screenwriter Charles Kaufman are both familiar with the work of Fellini, but Kaufman manages to put enough of his own spin on the basic premice of 8 1/2 to make it his own. Where Fellini uses the character of the critic to mock his own intentions throughout the film (not coincidentally de-clawing any future criticism of the movie itself - I betcha Antonioni was kicking himself for not thinking of that one first), Kaufman comes up with the masterful idea of a fictional twin brother, using him as the voice of artistic mediocrity. I like the device because it plays into the structure of the movie, with it’s twinnings of real/unreal, truth/fiction, success/failure, etc.

Still, there’s nothing in Adaptation that comes close to my favourite scene in 8 1/2, where Guido fantasizes himself in the House of Women. Very rarely has an artist laid out his libido so plainly on the screen. Fellini, with customary skill, manages to draw the scene from farce to horror to humour to, finally, a bittersweet longing. In my opinion, it’s the very heart of Fellini as an artist.

Need some lotion?

So I saw this movie tonight…

So there’s a whiny faux-intellectual pacing the film (the other screen-writer), and the great (in his head) trick used in movies like requiem for a dream.

Other than that, what’s so revolutionary about this film?

Other than that, what’s so revolutionary about this film?

Visually, it’s his big breaking point away from the traditions and confines of neo-realism. He was clearly heading in that direction starting with La Strada, but 8 1/2 is Fellini coming to the understanding that “realism” is as much of an artistic straightjacket as any other aesthetic. From this point on, Fellini would go on to redefine what cinema was capable of showing, moving from a style of objectivity (i.e. neo-realism, where the camera is meant as a viewpoint on an objective reality) to subjectivity (where the camera is meant as a viewpoint on a reality that is purely, completely subjective).

Structurally, it brings notions of post-modern self-reflexitivity into the realm of motion pictures in a way that had never really been done before. It’s a movie about the movie you’re watching, if you follow me. It’s also a very funny portrait of an artist who is given a stage the size of the world from which to speak, and suddenly finds that he doesn’t have very much to say.

Finally, 8 1/2 is Fellini’s successful attempt to break away from anything that ha traditionally tried to put the artist in the role of a spokesman. With Italian neo-realism, there was the insistence that art must be at the service of the greater social good as an antidote to the Fascist era; thus, the role of the artist was to instruct and illuminate the social reality, free from any mythologizing. With 8 1/2, Fellini rejects that political or ideological definition of film-making and says, in effect, that art should be about the artist, about how the artist views the world, about what the artist feels. 8 1/2 says, in effect, that film can, and should, be about anything, and that the imagined interior life is as valid as the objective exterior one.

You know, this morning, I was feeling about as low as I’ve felt in a while, and I watched this film. In the dark of the early morning, I was enchanted. This movie is fucking magic on celluloid. When I first watched it, I was in my 20s (more than 20 years ago) and it was wasted on me. This is a film, not only about films, but about middle age. I can’t recommend it enough!

Edit: I also love how I’m the first comment in 17 years.

That movie completely floored me when I was in my twenties and became an absolute favorite. I was often hesitant to mention it as such since it sounds like such a film student cliche, but there have been very few movies I have responded to so intensely. It’s been a while and I wonder how it will affect me now that I’m a lot older. Now if only I could find the time to watch it again.

You know, I subscribe to the Criterion Channel for just this sort of thing. My wife will sit and watch 10 hours of pablum on Netflix without batting an eye, but two hours for something like this is “too long” for her. Love is a mysterious thing.

This is easy one of the top 10 movies I’ve ever seen. Quite possibly top 5. Truly great cinema has an elemental power - it’s like living in a dream.