80s musical deal-breakers

Are there albums from the 1980s you’d listen to and like, but for?

What I’m talking about here: I’m listening to Springsteen again lately. Hey, Born to Run is great stuff…until the god-awful tenor saxaphone solo. Born in the USA is interesting…until he says “I’m a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.” Ugh, gag me with a spoon.

Anyone else have this problem?

Well, for one thing, Born to Run isn’t 80’s. It’s 1975. And I don’t have a problem with the sax solo or “…cool rocking daddy…”

But then again I’m the guy who thinks the special effects in the original King Kong are awesome. So I’m pretty forgiving and willing to appreciate things as being “of their time.”

Ok, I can’t believe I liked “Disco Duck” as a child. Does that help?

So no then. :D

Sorry, guess I decided to “help” after all.

Dunno, there’s just all these things that are so…tasteless. And earnest and atrocious. It’s like watching father knows best.

Ah yes, “Father Knows Best,” a good sitcom for its time.
Does it bother you, in Star Wars, when Han Solo says “It is for me SISTER!” because that totally dates that movie to the 70’s.

Personally, I love that line.

They are awesome. Kong conveys a personality, something that many CG creations don’t possess at all. I love that film.

Actually I had this experience in a somewhat different way while playing Vice City earlier this year on the PC. They were very smart in picking songs that were dated to the 80s, not popular enough to still get a lot of airplay, but catchy enough to spike my brain cells with high school memories. And a lot of that catchy “hey this reminds me of high school” music is just BAD :). I mean, I love it. It’s bad in that good way. But it’s still just crap music :0. Like when I was playing and for the first time “The Kids in America” comes on the radio and I just HATE KIM WILDE’S VOICE, but that song has me remembering fast times and teenage hooliganism. Or Twisted Sister, which represents all that which sucks in 80s “heavy metal” but still time-warps my brain to 1985 in a huge way.

Listening to the music in Vice City was one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. Screw the open-ended gameplay, bring me that 80s Kitsch.

Oh, and “Japanese Boy” - what a piece of junk song. BUT I COULDNT STOP SINGING ALONG WHILE PLAYING.

Dan

If you can’t stop singing the song, why is it bad? ;-) And Twisted Sister was and is great. Stay Hungry is the best Alice Cooper album not done by Alice Cooper in the 80s. Well, maybe second-best to Constrictor.

Oh, and in defense of the Vice City soundtrack guys, a lot of the songs on there were absolute monsters. I mean, come on. “Billie Jean” is one of the most recognizable singles of the past 50 years, let alone the 1980s. It was pretty amazing that Rockstar managed to get the rights to that one. Though Mikey has been having some money problems with Sony lately, and I don’t think anyone asked if he minded his tune being used in a game where you could decapitate prostitutes. Then there’s “Automatic,” “Cum on Feel the Noize,” “Africa,” “Sister Christian,” “Run to You,” “Two Tribes,” “Sunglasses at Night,” etc. These were the biggest hits in the 80s. Aside from Van Halen, The Police, and Springsteen, I can’t think of any big person or group that Rockstar missed. Although, man, I was really hoping to hear Men At Work doing “Down Under.” Nothing says 80s to me like that song.

And that’s why the PC version is so great. Build your own radio station. I filled mine with Air Supply songs.

Oh, and Brett, Vice City is totally missing Journey. [size=2](The Pretenders, Cyndi Lauper, Billy Idol, and, of course, Devo.) [/size]

Well, for one thing, Born to Run isn’t 80’s. It’s 1975. And I don’t have a problem with the sax solo or “…cool rocking daddy…”

And if you really want an 80’s version of Born to Run, there’s always the cover by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Twisted Sister were surprisingly competent.

No, Motley Crue were all that was bad about '80s rock. Horrible.

I can’t believe, although I remember it, that I liked Europe’s The Final Countdown the first time I heard it. <cringe>

I was working out at the gym last weekend and that song came on and brought the biggest smile to my face (my high school years were '79-'83).

I paid money to see them live. /flaggelate self

Europe just reunited for a new album and tour. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Actually I had this experience in a somewhat different way while playing Vice City earlier this year on the PC. They were very smart in picking songs that were dated to the 80s, not popular enough to still get a lot of airplay, but catchy enough to spike my brain cells with high school memories. And a lot of that catchy “hey this reminds me of high school” music is just BAD :). I mean, I love it. It’s bad in that good way. But it’s still just crap music :0. Like when I was playing and for the first time “The Kids in America” comes on the radio and I just HATE KIM WILDE’S VOICE, but that song has me remembering fast times and teenage hooliganism. Or Twisted Sister, which represents all that which sucks in 80s “heavy metal” but still time-warps my brain to 1985 in a huge way.

Listening to the music in Vice City was one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. Screw the open-ended gameplay, bring me that 80s Kitsch.

Oh, and “Japanese Boy” - what a piece of junk song. BUT I COULDNT STOP SINGING ALONG WHILE PLAYING.

Dan[/quote]

I had this same experience listening to the 80’s station in Grand Theft Auto 3. My favorites were “Push it to the limit” and “She’s on fire”. Very catchy. It’s also fun to watch Scarface and get GTA flashbacks when they start playing those songs.

Even worse than playing Vice City is owning a 1984 Pontiac Fiero.

After buying the car to use as a commute vehicle I’ve found myself buying 80’s CDs to play while driving.

Every time I get behind the wheel it’s 1984 again. :oops:

There was a similar thread at Gone Gold. I will recap my thoughts:

Ah, the 80’s. Great albums, terrible drum sounds. It’s like they did everything they could to make a snare drum NOT sound like a snare drum. For example, Jason and the Scorchers. Great band. Well before Uncle Tupelo, Jason and the (Nashville) Scorchers combined punk rock and country. Great songs, great live act, and unlistenable albums. The drums are ridiculous. They couldn’t BE any more compressed. And that is what kills 80’s rock. Now, if you were Ultravox (Midge Ure era) it didn’t matter. But those DOOOOOOMPFFFFFF drum sounds killed many a great rock and roll band. And that is the deal breaker for many of my formerly beloved 80’s records (I am currently 36; you do the math).

Ironically, REM didn’t start having bad sounding albums until the 90’s. Go figure.

Also, “Cool Rockin’ Daddy” wasn’t the deal breaker with Bruce. It was the introduction of those goddamned synths on the BitUSA album. He still uses them. However, the fact that “Nebraska” was an 80’s album and still the most successful DIY album to date redeems The Boss.

Yeah, the synths are bad. Xylophone isn’t really endearing, either.

Not really the 80’s, but I remember when I first saw the music video for The Beatles’ Strawberry Fields. I love the song, but every time I hear it I have to repress the memory of that horrible video.