8k TVs are in the wild now.

Apparently the answer is yes, at least for Microsoft.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-freesync-support-tested-on-xbox-one-x

It wasn’t actually a selling point for me with this TV. It was the combination of being highly rated for both gaming and sports watching as well as the in store visual upgrade that was obvious when compared to the prior gen tech. If you look at an NU8000 next to the Q70 and up (and really…even the Q60…) then it’s clear that this is the best an LED TV has looked and it’s a significant jump. Lots of TVs say they have HDR, but their ability to display things bright enough to make it worthwhile is often suspect.

I’m still not sold on OLED both for price reasons but also for burn-in, which is apparently a problem. I want to wait to see what happens there so maybe in another six years (that’s how long since I got my 50" Vizio) I’ll be buying OLED.

All that said, I’m happy that it’s there. I don’t have AMD videocards for my PCs so I’m not going to benefit there, but I have a GSYNC monitor for my PC so that’s ok.

Also, I think it will be commonly supported in the next generation of consoles next fall.

10-series and later Nvidia cards work with standard VRR (Freesync) now, they don’t need hardware G-sync modules.

Yes, I would be very surprised if next-gen consoles don’t all support it. That will be an awesome thing.

Right, but I don’t think they all do that over HDMI, only through DisplayPort, which most TVs don’t have. Support over HDMI is relegated to the really new stuff. 20xx series and up I think?

You’re right, only 16 and 20-series will support VRR over HDMI.

Yeah, it kind of sucks since I have a GTX 1070 in the desktop PC and it would be nice to see it on the TV using Freesync via HDMI. I do plan a video card upgrade in 2020 though so I’ll definitely be able to try it then. I decided to get the TV first since 50" was feeling kinda small even though I only went up to 65". Quality of picture and proper HDR/4K won out over size.