A 2 minute Recap Of My Day At E3

Back from E3. I am only going one day this year. I don’t have a “game of the show” because nothing that I saw really stuck out at all. So here’s my quick impressions of some shit I remember

Katamari 2
MOTS but this looks like it will be a good thing. They’ve added a literal “snowball” level or mode or something, rolling up snow just feel so right :) The co-op is an interesting diversion for about 2 minutes. So the game plays exactly the same only with less control and more confusion and frustration? Awesome!

Prey
I literally wandered into a closed-door screening showing off some various gameplay footage from the game. For using Doom 3 engine it manages to not appear to use it, at least not as blatantly as Quake 4 seems to. The opening sequence where a ratty bar gets vaporized / taken up by a UFO was kind of cool but not amazing, but the graphics got better although there were still some rough parts. The player can enter a “spirit mod” or whatever where the body stands still and you fly around as a ghost or whatever with a bow and arrow and can shoot enemies. The portal stuff was mostly a gimmick with portal teleports opening and closing and generally not being super impressive. I did like how you can walk on walls/ceiling in certain areas and there was one part I liked in a long hallway where the player shot these things on the walls to reverse gravity and everything fell up, which then became down.

Call of Duty 2
Surprisingly ugly and unpolished. Looks like a standard cinematic WW2 game. Only saw the North Africa level though.

CoD: Big Red One
Looked pretty lame actually. Same problems with animation, general polishing issues, etc.

XBox3 360 games
Need For Speed, CoD2, and a few others. Very underwhelming. Looked like latest-gen XBox games only at a higher resolution and somewhat better eye candy. Still some times when a wall texture was so obviously low rez that it looked nasty. Kudos to MS for actually demoing the XBox360 though, as opposed to Sony with their strictly behind closed doors shit.

Half-Life XBox
Total POS. Demo level was the one in Ravenholm where all the zombies come out of the shadows and you have to go up on the rooftops and cross the planks and shit. However they brightened it so it’s no longer night, and everything looks like low res texture ass. Plus it had a really really shitty framerate.

24: The Game
Has the feeling of 24 down pat with the pounding numbers and the shifting splitscreen views. Nice voice acting from the cast members from what I hear. Somewhat okay graphics, not the best the PS2 is capable of. Third-person shooting segment is extremely generic with lock-on reticle, pressing against corners and popping out to shoot, a dive-roll button, etc. Driving segment was basic “drive away from bad guys until you win.” There was a part where you had to go through satellite feeds to find heat signatures of bad guys by looking at nearby buildings and paging through diagrams of each floor, lame. Interrogation segment had to do with some sort of EKG meter and either upping or toning down the interrogation techniques to try and stay within a certain marked level. Then at the end you had to press a button at a certain time to “break” the suspect. However I think the interrogation scenes will provide excellent jerk off material for 24 fans as it basically is Jack Bauer screaming at a suspect and threatening to shoot him in the face, etc.

Wanda and the Colossus or whatever it’s called now
Looks very cool, enormous collossi stomping around and you have to climb up their body and stab them in various sweet spots. At one point a guy stabbed one in the top of the head and a fucking geyser of blood spurted out, I wasn’t quite expecting that. Nice graphics for the PS2. Hard to pass judgement until I can play more.

Nintendo booth
They seriously had more DS stuff on display than Gamecube stuff, what the fuck.

Quake Wars
Looks fucking awesome, wish I could play it.

Kentia Hall
Lots of fun. I prowled around the collection of old game stuff and strapped on the Power Glove and told everyone that walked by “I love my power glove, it’s so bad” until someone finally got the reference. Doom on the 3DO was fucking unplayable. The Virtual Boy was just as retarded looking as in my dreams. The Game Gear and the Lynx were/are fucking monsters that make the PSP look svelte. Then I tried out another dumb virtual reality rig and tried to play Call of Duty by swiveling my head around and navigating with a dumb gamepad built into a plastic gun. The display was really crappy and washed out and I could barely make out the Nazis against the background but come on, virtual reality! You must go to Kentia and try this! Plus I strapped on boxing gloves to punch out a virtual opponent and all the other standard Kentia junk.

Hellgate: London
If I had to choose my game of the show thie would probably be it, it’s apparently still in the very early stages but what they showed was still fantastically well done and really felt like Diablo transferred into a post apocalyptic shooter. Very very impressive stuff. Plus they had this absolutely awesome CG trailer for it which just followed two soldiers killing various beasties and it just kept going and going and escalating more and more and at least three times I thought “OK now they will fade out” but instead the soldiers kick the shit out of the new threat and keep going. Not that that has anything to do with the game itself but I was still wowed.

Oh yeah and best booth babes goes to the Namco stage show. By far.

Bioware isn’t showing Dragon Age, although I’m sure some interviews will surface.

Blizzard really was just pimping StarCraft : Ghost. It looked good, but not terribly exciting. They had a funky little mini game you had to play to break somebodies neck after creeping up on them. The invisible stealth mode looked nice too. It will probably be a great title, it just wasn’t all that exciting.

Sounds like some devs are taking influence from God of War. Gears of War also supposedly uses a similar mechanic for finishing moves.

I can’t say that this bodes well… Why would they not show anything this year if they were showing things last year?

Instead of using the buttons the bit I saw used the analog sticks moving in different straight patterns. Yah, pretty much God of War.

I can’t say that this bodes well… Why would they not show anything this year if they were showing things last year?[/quote]

Could be they have a magazine cover lined up, but it does make me wonder if BioWare has put the game on the backburner? They might be working on Jade 2 for Xbox 360 and devoting most of their resources to that.

It has been a year, though, and BioWare had the Dragon Age engine working last E3 and had some art assets in place. They had playable code, at least for one area of the gameworld. You’d think they’d be pretty far along now.

Oh… I didn’t really think of an exclusivity type deal. That could be. I guess we won’t find out until after the next months issues of computer game magazines hit the stands, or if they show something at E3, whichever comes first.

There was frustration and confusion in the first one?

I got to see on my one day of E3:

Galactic Civilizations II - VERY nice. Ship customization is THE BOMB.

Whirlwind of Vietnam - FINALLY, a Vietnam-era serious flight sim. It was a very early alpha, but it was great.

WWII RTS - Really incredible looking…um…WWII RTS game. Uses the IL-2 engine and strives for 100% realism. They might get it.

X3: The Return - I didn’t get to play it, but it looked nice. Apparently the economy has been expanded, everything is destructible, and the menus are easier to use (finally).

Heroes of Might and Magic V - FRIGGING INCREDIBLE. Basically they said “It’s Heroes 3, but in 3D” and IT IS, at least based on what I saw. Incredible…

Ghost Recon 3 - Looks impressive enough.

Heart of Empire in Rome - A decent looking city builder in the spirit of Caesar III or Children of the Nile.

Spellforce 2 - Looks MUCH better than the first one. They cleaned it up, made it prettier, and made the AI better, apparently. Good stuff. Multiplayer has also been improved.

Gothic 3 - Looks incredible, didn’t get to play it though.

Outfront - The sequel to Soldiers: Heroes of WWII. Again, everything is destructible (which was shown nicely as a tank blew up a house and leveled it by rolling over the debris). It’ll also have a co-op mode which sounds fun.

Parkan 2 -OMFG I spooged myself when I saw this. Walk around your own ship, on the bridge, down to the cargo bay or the engine room. SEE and pick up your own cargo. Dock with ships and try to board them IN FIRST PERSON! Land on planets and take them over IN FIRST PERSON. I was drooling…

Hmm. I played the floor demo, and while you could run around and beat on people, it was definitely more in the category of graphics demo than game demo. (Whee, another game using SpeedTree! :D ) Plus it crashed on me after about four minutes of beating on bandits…and I had started playing it after a restart from the previous crash. :?

For the record, Hellgate: London also succumbed to my withering touch and bluescreened the computer after a similar amount of play time. :D

That doesn’t really sound like the best idea ever :/

What would be speical about veitnam? Were the aircraft particularly unusual or anything?

Are these new consoles supposed to be out by christmass? And if so does nintendo plan on having one out by then too?

Xbox 360 is expected in November, PS3 about six months after that, and Nintendo’s next around Christmas of 2006.

I dunno, I think that flight sims have covered just about every major theater we’ve had in the last century except Vietnam, and I think it deserves more coverage. I’ve read a decent number of books about helicopter operations in Vietnam, and am excited to see someone covering this area.

think that flight sims have covered just about every major theater we’ve had in the last century except Vietnam

Oh, but we already have the superlative Wings Over Vietnam!

:roll:

Okay, maybe I should have said “good flight sims.” ;) I can kinda see why fixed-wing flight sims in Vietnam don’t get made because most of the fixed wing aircraft at least early in the war were such pieces of crap. Helicopters, however, really began to mature in Vietnam, I think, so it’ll be nice to see helicopters get some coverage.

And no, I haven’t forgotten about the horrible Vietnam Medi-Vac helo “sim,” no matter how much I try to. THAT product was a travesty.

Gothic 3 should not have been shown – it’s nowhere near ready. It looked kinda sucky, and I am a big fan of the Gothic games. I wonder if they are going to make their ship date.

That is exactly what I was just going to ask! Looks like I won’t need a PC anymore since there are no games I like being made! (Putting aside the fact that I still need them for work.) Same for Xbox 1.5. So PS3 it is somewhere down the road…[/quote]

What’s really scary is that I almost agree with you. I do play MMOs intermittantly, but my need for shooters and RTS games is pretty low. I thought the XBox looked nice, but there weren’t many games on it I wanted to play. I’m still holding out for the occasional PC game, but at the rate things are going I’ll use linux or switch back to the mac…