A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Tom Hanks is Mr. Rogers

Any comedic role.

But would be better than Hugh Grant in 2 week’s notice? Or better than Sandra Bullock in 2 Week’s notice? Or better than Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally? Better than Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura Pet Detective?

Daniel Day-Lewis would be great in any dramatic role though, I think you’re right. And I think that was the spirit of your question.

These must be rhetorical questions, because the answers are all obviously yes.

-Tom

Blade?

I realize I’m contradicting my earlier sentiment, but you said this and then, much like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, “it just popped in there”.

I am really trying to picture it…

How about Hermione Granger? I think Emma Watson was pretty good in that role.

TIL

So I’ve been warning my kids that I’m going to force them to go see this with me during Thanksgiving break. My 16yo daughter is adamantly refusing, it looks boring, why do I have to go. Because being born in 2003, you grew up in a world without Mr Rogers and it won’t hurt you to learn about this man and the impact he had on generations of kids. Booooriing.

Ahh, the lastest in the long-running series “Tom Hanks grasps for the lowest-hanging fruit.”

I thought the combination of Fred Rogers and Tom Hanks would be impossible to be curmudgeonly about.

I was wrong.

Do we ever.

Oh, whatever. It will be just lovely, I’m sure. I will no doubt see it at some point, and probably enjoy it, just like I do with almost everything Tom Hanks is involved in (non-Dan Brown division). Tom Hanks is pretty impossible to dislike, and Mr. Rogers is as close to secular saint as there is.

Still, it’s amusingly predictable. Of course Tom Hanks is playing Mr. Rogers. Who else would do it? We know most of his story from the last round of filmed encomia to Mr. Rogers, so we pretty much know how this movie is going to come out and how much conflict there will be in this story (almost none). It’s fair to question if this thing needs to exist…I mean, other than for the obvious, crass reasons.

Gary Oldman?

Christopher Walken ?

They could’ve done it experimental, I’m Not There-style. Tilda Swinton, Leo DiCaprio, Joe Pesci, Gary Oldman, and Benicio Del Toro could all take turns playing different facets of Mr. Rogers’ personality. I’d be down for that.

It’s a… day… in the neighborhood. Might even call it… beautiful. Are you my, neighbor? Did your… dog… crap on my lawn?

Steve Buschemi? :)

Danny Devito!

Nicholas Cage! ;)

Shea Wigham

Idris Elba. The outcry would be amazing.