A Christmas Story Live - No, Just No

This is all wrong. A musical? Red Ryder a grown-up Ralfie with glasses?

The musical has been around for awhile. I can’t imagine it’s any good. Really, you can’t improve on the film. It’s just about perfect.

What next? The Big Lebowski musical?

Based on what I’ve seen so far, it’s good I didn’t know about the musical before.

It needs to be On Ice

I only watched a few minutes. I was really impressed by how much they made the modern kids look like the kids from the movie. And the whole thing about Matthew Broderick walking around and being the narrator was a pretty clever way of handling the live aspect while still needing a narrator.

Those two things were well done. Unfortunately, the script and the songs demolished all the bite that makes the movie special. The worst was having Ralfie go over to Schwartz’ house and confess to Schwartz and his mother that he lied about learning the F dash dash dash word from Schwartz. Then we get a song and dance about Hanukkah. Oy vey!

My wife started hate-watching it (she does theatre and musicals so it was right up her alley) but she was sucked in (thanks Matthew Broderick!). Overall we thought it went pretty well.I will grant you that the song they added about Hanukkah was pretty lame.