A Culdcept Thank you

Culdcept is a GREAT, GREAT, game. I saw a post about this game a couple weeks ago and picked it up.

If anyone wants to walk on the wild side and has a PS2, pick it up. It’s a mix of Magic the Gathering and (wait for it) MONOPOLY of all things and is really addicting. I’m normally not a Magic fan, but was intrigued by the premise and am always a sucker for poorly allocated games (I have this big fear of spending $100 + on ebay for a game I missed.

Currently I’m on my fourth battle, I lose alot though. I sometimes secretly think that the CPU is cheating on dice rolls and other things. but overall - GREAT game. Addicting as all get out. Thanks to those who posted on it.

Yeah, I picked this up on Tom’s recommendation as well - it’s really great.
I’ve been playing a ton of practice games to get some better cards since I can’t seem to beat the 4th guy in.

The only frustrating thing is, like you said, the dice rolls. The computer has landed on lands I just released due to bankruptcy a little too often for my liking. And there was that time I landed on the computer’s single 1800 toll land twice in a row. Uh, okay… :evil:

Tom Chick this, Tom Chick that…I found this game!! It was me, me, me…no one had ever even heard of it and would not have were it not for my Spidey gaming senses!!! All Tom does is start playing something and then start his own thread so that he’ll look like the hero. Man, I am glad he is gone.

Really it was Kitsune, but he lives in Japan where the internet does not reach so he will never know I took the credit.

I still love this game, too. So many choices. I have, however, caught the computer looking at my cards when I got up to take a leak, so the A.I. could just as easily be manipulating the die rolls.

Why is the chronology of this series so screwy?

Sounds like somebody needs a hug.

Aw, this reminds me of Jan on the Brady Bunch. Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

I found this game!! It was me, me, me…no one had ever even heard of it and would not have were it not for my Spidey gaming senses!!!

…says the guy who had people buying Empire of Magic based on his recommendation. :)

-Tom, Culdcept fan #1, for all intents and purposes

I’m pretty sure my wife was using my login during that week or so.

Let me officially apologize if anyone bought that title based on her pre-release praise. She has been spanked. (As well as punished for using my login…thank you, next show at 6:00). Hey, I hear Mayhem is doing Shadow Vault; another strategic RPG. Can’t wait. I mean my wife can’t.

-Tyler, Culdecept Supreme Card Commander

God, that was a horrible game. Let’s just not bring it up again.

Looks like I missed some Tyjenks hijinks methinks. :D

I recently picked it up after hearing all the praise for it and didn’t enjoy it as much as I anticipated. I had high expectations of the game with many posters listing it among their favorites of the year.

I played for about 10 hours and appreciated the originality of the concept as a console strategy game, but I didn’t like that luck played such a large roll in the game. To me, Culdcept has the frustration of randomness from CCGs times the frustration from randomness of the roll-the-die-move-around-the-board games. I would construct decks attempting to exert more control over the luck elements (creature cost/type mixtures, movement control cards) but I too often felt like I was at the whim of the die roll.

If matches were shorter I think I would be a bit more forgiving. Losing a 10-15 minute match because of some lucky die rolls is fine; losing an hour and a half one is, well, less acceptable.

I think I’d enjoy the game more if movement was tied to the cards in some way - where more powerful creatures could be played to move you a short distance where smaller creatures would move you faster.

-Scott-

This is my biggest complaint, too, and it is what has kept me from playing as much as I would like. However, I am not sure the battles could be shorter. A new points sytem would have to be developed or fewer spaces on the board or some differentt victory conditions, all of which would take away from the feel of the game. Lord knows, monopoly was never a quick game.

EDIT: weird! I quoted DeathMonkey and then the post was place before his. Cooky.

I didn’t like that luck played such a large roll in the game.

Pun intended? :)

To be fair, it’s a pretty fundamental part of the design since you’re combining a CCG with a Monopoly style board game. The very premise is the blend of luck-of-the-draw and die rolling.

If matches were shorter I think I would be a bit more forgiving. Losing a 10-15 minute match because of some lucky die rolls is fine; losing an hour and a half one is, well, less acceptable.

Yeah, the games can be pretty long. To me, there are two things that make the length bearable:

1. I’ve seen plenty of 11th hour reversals. Time spent playing is never just mopping up.

2. You get a reward (more cards) even when you lose.

I eventually gave up because I got really frustrated with whether or not hands are open or closed. If I can look at a guy’s hand when he’s playing a card, the damn game should let me look at it whenever I want. I hated having to try to remember what cards the other guys had. This isn’t frickin’ Concentration.

-Tom

The computer certainly does seem to cheat, but Culdcept’s real strength is in multiplayer, where the die is a non-issue.

There are also lots of cards that eliminate the whole luck factor, but you don’t start with very many of them, and none of the better ones. The more you play the game and the more you tune your book the less factor luck plays.

I had that game on my EBGames wishlist and still I’ve sworn an oath to never listen to your recommendation.

Empire of Magic… sticks out tongue and scratches it

There’s just something about videogames with cards in them that just doesn’t click with me… If I’m playing a board game, or a videogame based on a board game, cool. But otherwise, I just feel like the card aspect should somehow be abstracted.

Which is why I haven’t tried Culdcept yet.

[quote=“Gaming-Module”]

I had that game on my EBGames wishlist and still I’ve sworn an oath to never listen to your recommendation.

Empire of Magic… sticks out tongue and scratches it[/quote]

And yet, Mayhem continues to patch it. I guess as the bastard who may have convinced one or two to pick it up, I should do the dirty deed of seeing what they repaired. Only if I did and said it was better, I am relatively sure no one and I mean no one would re-install it.

They are working on a second TBS title and although I swore never to touch a Mayhem offering, Strategy First is publishing this one.

Shadow Vault Whaddya think? Any takers? I can’t wait!!! :roll:

Any Culdcept fans willing to give PSO3 a shot after it comes out this week? I know I will be.

If I either get paid to review it or see it get good reviews, yes. I’ve loved every PSO until now, but the idea of such an incredible shift in gameplay is scary.

The reviews so far have been universally good for PSO Ep. III. EGM, IGN, not sure if Gamespot did theirs yet.

–Dave