A device to spy on (record) my frogs at night?

Yeah because what you’re trying to do sounds like something other people would like. And the weird thing is, it doesn’t sound especially… hard either. I am sure DIY type people are just stringing up all kinds of things all over the place with what is out there now, but for the rest of us…

The Blink XT2 looks decent. And you can purchase a weatherproof cable for it. Run power from your home.

Nest costs money for server space ($5/mo I think I pay for 5 day recording) but they do record continuously. I can bring up my front door camera and watch it at any time in that window of time, and make and export clips too.

Blink XT2 also let’s you view live and it has two way communication… but all those battery claims are basically reliant on clips. I mean you can do it but you want to record or watch it for a few hours a night, I think there will be a fair amount of charging involved. It’s pretty darn easy to setup though. I don’t know that my WiFi would go, what was it, 70 feet into the yard… maybe.

I wonder what kind of setups they use for stuff like this:

Because I think that’s what we all really want. To be able to get a daily dose of zen frog action whenever we’re feeling stressed.

If that can zoom too and do night vision - that is exactly what I want.

Wyze will record to a SDcard for free. A 32GB SDcard can hold 2 full days of 1080p video.

Here’s some info:

Unfortunately the camera he recommends is like $900. But maybe do this thing but with cheaper hardware. :D

I think the cheaper version of this means using a live cam with an IP feed, connecting to it on a PC that runs nearly 24/7, and use OBS to put it on Youtube as here:

Like something like this camera:

But connect directly to the IP to get a feed rather than through their app.

Here’s another camera with this review that kind of has a clue to what I’m thinking:

More tutorializing, this might be the best one I’ve seen so far:

I hope I’m not intruding on the conversation here. But that is how I feel when I saw the question. Is the expectation of the result a documentary quality close ups of frogs?

Because the setups seem to point to disappointing low quality videos, and night vision will be even worse in terms of quality. Relative to documentaries of course.

If we’re going to dream I would love documentary grade video so I could write a paper and do video on amphibious behavior & survival in artificial city/suburban ecologies. Why? Habitat loss is accelerating and frogs are the most vulnerable species to pollution, environmental damage, and habitat loss. Giving people the tools to nurture threatened species (with the science to back it up) would make me super happy.

Have you ever considered doing a Kickstarter or a GoFundMe kind project to do that? I mean you often only hear about the products and games and stuff but more community based, just support a good idea stuff is still on those platforms.

Are you going to stream the video @jpinard? Some of us might like to watch too.

I think this is a great suggestion. Plenty of folks would find this appealing and charming enough to back it. You should also profile yourself a bit on the Kickstarter; your life story and the reasons why you want to do this would make it all the more intriguing.

To be able to share so much more of this with people on a level I get to experience… would be wonderful. It would also bring some much needed value to my life. It’s hard to keep your head up with so many in a certain political spectrum telling you your life is not worth the money to keep you alive (the reason I rarely use Facebook now).

The idea of this really touches my heart. Thanks :)

Just don’t walk around nude and you should be okay.

I’m going to thank you both because you reminded me I was going to look at what Ring has to offer these days. I now have two Ring Stick Up Cams and will be installing them today or tomorrow.

I foudn this cute frog and i would share here, among frog lovers :D

Thought you guys might enjoy this one…
Frog lights up after swallowing a lightning bug

Two cute tree frogs pics. They’re such amazing (and docile) frogs.

I ah e one of my afternoons Frogs eat a lightning bug, I was confused at first as to why a lightning bug was illuminating on the ground. Then when I got close I saw it was inside my frog. So I ran inside as fast as I could tog rat my camera, but by the time I got back outside it didn’t light up any more.