A different report on the action in Iraq

I found this page http://www.aeronautics.ru/news/news002/news077.htm its a russian website with a translation of one of their daily updates on the fighting in Iraq. The picture they paint is quite different from what we hear in CNN and such.

Now I am not saying that this report is the truth or that it is even legitimate. I am just posting it cause i found it fascinating and thought others here may be interested in reading it.

The first casuality in war is truth after all.

I’m sorry, how is that any different then any other news source? 'Rumsfeld seriously under estimated this war despite warning and now we’re bogged down ‘till we can get a smarter guy in charge’ is pretty much the prevailant message everywhere I’ve seen.

This is the problem with having so much news: even the tiniest thing is blown way out of porportion to get ratings.
‘Breaking news!! We have reports on ANOTHER U.S. casualty!!! Major Tom Toms stubbed his toe causing massive damage to a minor section of his pinky toe, or ‘pt’. For more news on this PT crisis we have our expert field reporter John John LIVE in the field with a major field announcement on this PT crisis. John, will this PT crisis have any effect on the American war effort?’

‘Oh definitely Diane, I’ve heard tell of pulling our forces back 600 miles west of here to access this PT crisis fully. In America and around the globe candle light vigils have been set up to protest the war, they say that none of this was worth the mild discomfort and slight limp caused to one of our boys. All in the name of oil. Diane?’

‘Thank you. We’ll keep you updated throughout the day with reports every half hour on the half hour on this PT crisis and it’s effect on the Arab world.’

Well the #1 most suprising thing I read from that report is the idea that this “iraqi resistance” is not just ragtag bandits taking potshots and slowing down advances. Rather this is Iraqi regulars with better equipment then just small arms fighting back american troops. Also this report lists US casualties at much higher rates then anything US news services I have seen are reporting.

Me personally i hve not seen stuff like this reported anywhere else, that is why i found it interesting and posted it up. Its quite a contrast to read that then tune into to CNN as they characterize the fighting as “sporadic” and irregulars. Oh and one more thing in that update it states that (I think it is) the 51st Iraqi Mechanized div is in fact still fighting (in umn qasar?) and is far from surrendered, kinda draws into question all that crap about how the recent saddam tape was dated cause we all know the 51st has surrendered??

GROAN

I thought the first casualty in war were the annoying reporters? or is that just wishful thinking again.

Well, a jihad has been declared by numerous clergy groups, so there’s a religious incentive to fight. There’s also the usual nationalistic impulse to fight invaders, even if Saddam is a bastard. Finally, this is the U.S., the staunch ally of Israel, coming to occupy their country. I could see that being a good reason to fight also.

The first casuality in war is truth after all.

That would be the Coppola Doctrine?

Actually, the first casualty in war is pre-empted daytime soap operas. But they’re back on as of yesterday.

War is good ratings.

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/21/networks.reut/

What doesn’t jive with that site.

40 killed, up to 10 captured and up to 200 wounded during the fighting near An-Nasiriya. There is confirmed information about one lost attack helicopter and an unconfirmed report about a lost ground attack plane. The US forces have also lost up to 40 armored vehicles, including no less than 10 tanks

I guess are guys got really good out of jumping out of armored vehicles right before they blow, or are they all those new solo tanks I heard so much about.

An RPG cannot take out an abrams and I don’t think I have seen much seized that could.

Also their reporting today conflicts with every other source about the Kurds jumping in.

Chet

I don’t buy the “ten tanks destroyed” number either. However as far as RPGs taking out an Abrams … I just saw this story U.S. Says Iraqis Knock Out Two Abrams Tanks on Reuters just before I read your post. I generally consider Reuters to be a reliable news source, so I’m assuming it’s true.

Those weren’t RPGs, which are unguided, they were ATGMs. Anti-Tank Guided Missiles. These are your Javelins, Saggers, TOWs, etc. They have much larger warheads & much greater armor penetration - 1000mm or more versus 350 for an RPG.

It says the crews survived, so I wonder how damaged the tanks were. You don’t have to penetrate the crew compartment to knock out a tank. Damaging the suspension enough so it is immobilized, jamming the turret, damaging the main gun - all of those will take a tank out of action without destroying it.

Edit: I did a little bit of research on the web. Assuming this was a Russian weapon, it was probably an AT-5 Spandrel. It is the only Russian wire-guided ATGM that has the range claimed in that story (4,000m), though it is only vehicle-mounted. It could have been an AT-4 Spigot, too.

Here’s something I read. It’s not a news source, just some Iraqi dude running a blog…

http://dear_raed.blogspot.com/

Hey Supertanker, thanks for the info.

I figure from a US public relations perspective knocked out Abrams probably aren’t that big of a deal as long as the crew is okay. I don’t think the public is going to care all that much one way or the other how much hardware we manage to expend, just how many US lives are lost.

Hey Supertanker, thanks for the info.

I figure from a US public relations perspective knocked out Abrams probably aren’t that big of a deal as long as the crew is okay. I don’t think the public is going to care all that much one way or the other how much hardware we manage to expend, just how many US lives are lost.[/quote]

Article on the running battle between 3-7th and the Iraqi’s (and the result of first two losses of M1’s to enemy fire) see this USA Today article. If you didn’t want to read it the jist of what caused the loss of the tanks was:

The squadron captured three enemy soldiers before the Iraqis, perhaps using an anti-tank gun mounted on a truck, blasted the rear of two Abrams tanks, setting them ablaze. One driver was trapped inside his tank for several minutes before crawling to safety.

If you’ve read the other stuff Supertanker posted about the M1’s this would conicide with their near impervious status.

[quote=“Tyjenks”]

GROAN[/quote]

DOUCHEBAG

GROAN[/quote]

DOUCHEBAG[/quote]

I don’t quite think “DOUCHEBAG” is so much an audible noise to place between asterisks to signify frustration or irritation as it is a state of being. Now I would be open to you calling me a DOUCHEBAG, but your use of the word is simply incorrect and that is intolerable.

GROAN[/quote]
DOUCHEBAG[/quote]
I don’t quite think “DOUCHEBAG” is so much an audible noise to place between asterisks to signify frustration or irritation as it is a state of being. Now I would be open to you calling me a DOUCHEBAG, but your use of the word is simply incorrect and that is intolerable.[/quote]

I think he means he fell down after reading your post and he just naturally makes that sound when he falls.

GROAN[/quote]

DOUCHEBAG[/quote]

I don’t quite think “DOUCHEBAG” is so much an audible noise to place between asterisks to signify frustration or irritation as it is a state of being. Now I would be open to you calling me a DOUCHEBAG, but your use of the word is simply incorrect and that is intolerable.[/quote]

DOUCHEBAG is the sound i imagine you make when asked “what feminine hygiene product best describes your sorry existence.” the fact that you take the time to GROAN or SIGH or YAWN or LAFF makes me feel a little less lame for taking the time to DOUCHEBAG.

no, it’s not onomatopoeia (sp?), which is what i think you are going for, but last i checked, there was no fixed way of typing crap like that on the internet. at the very least, you aren’t an authority on it.

I was wondering what happened to Andrew Dice Clay…mystery solved.