A DS question out of left field

I have been strangely lusting for a DS lately but it occurred to me that being a leftie might present a problem. I have trained myself to use a mouse with my right-hand and generally have no problems using control schemes designed for righties. The exception is anything that uses a stylus. When I’m drawing at the PC using a tablet, I have to hold the stylus in my left hand, much as I would if I was writing by hand.

So my question is, would being a leftie have any impact on playing with a DS?

I’m a leftie and it’s fine. You can calibrate the touchscreen however you like, and most games that use the stylus extensively don’t use the buttons very much, so being able to reach the buttons isn’t really an issue.

The handful of games that make good use of the touchscreen do so pretty much exclusively; you’ll be fine playing it in your sinister fashion.

My girlfriend is left handed and has no problems with it.

K

I have no hands and I play it with the power of my super mutated brain.

It works great.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this, but in most games that use the stylus, you can set in the options screen if you’re right or left handed.

I know that some games, like WarioWare, will actually modify/reverse some mini-games based on that to favor your stylus hand.

I’ve got at least 1 other game that asks hand preference too, but I can’t remember which one.

-Hiro_Antagonist

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I can only hope to use my super mutated brain to control games some day. In the meantime, my hands, both sinister and non-sinister, will have to suffice.

I’m also left-handed and have had no problems with it. Frankly, I’m more worried about the new Revolution controller and how it works for lefties.

I seem to remember telling the DS the first time I started it up that I was left handed. That said, my girlfriend also plays occasionally on my DS and it doesn’t know who’s playing and she seems to have no problem.

The demo for Metroid even let you configure it so that the ABXY buttons acted as a d-pad so you could hold the stylus in your left hand and walk with the right.

What am I missing here? Seems to me that the Revolution controller is the first console controller that works the same for everybody. All of the controls are right down the middle, there’s no left or right side, and even better you can put the peripherals like the analog stick in either hand.

What am I missing here? Seems to me that the Revolution controller is the first console controller that works the same for everybody. All of the controls are right down the middle, there’s no left or right side, and even better you can put the peripherals like the analog stick in either hand.[/quote]

You’re missing the same thing I am apparently. I saw one guy on GAF who claimed this was the first ambidextrous controller!

–Dave

right.

What am I missing here? Seems to me that the Revolution controller is the first console controller that works the same for everybody. All of the controls are right down the middle, there’s no left or right side, and even better you can put the peripherals like the analog stick in either hand.[/quote]

I look at the right-handed side and I see lots of buttons and such and the left-handed side and see a single joystick and trigger. So my question is, when I switch hands does the connector go all twisty and such so that when I’m contorting with it, since I’m using it in left-handed mode it gives me resistance and eventually breaks, or not.

It’s just a wire between the remote control-type device and the analog stick part. You can swap them however you’d like. Depending on the game, you won’t even need that analog stick part either.

–Dave

Keep in mind, this is GAF. There probably aren’t a huge amount of people there old enough to have used those. :)

–Dave

I’m a lefty and haven’t had any problems with it. The main thing I dislike about the DS is that it’s too big; I actually prefer my GBA. But the DS has a brighter screen, which can be nice.

The extra screen has some benefit, but I think the touchscreen stuff is dumb, and overall, it’s not worth the real-estate.

[Edited to fix a dumb mistake.]

Alright then, how about trackballs (granted, not a big console fixture), or the Bongos from Donkey Konga, or light guns, maracas, whatever. :)

Whoa, whoa… don’t forget the Colecovision controllers.

I’m old and crusty enough (40) to have owned the white-color Intellevision II. Yes those discs were the ultimate ambidextrous tool. 8)

And why couldn’t Monolith’s Tron 2.0 be even half as fun as the “Tron Discs Game” for Intellivision, huh? :? I actually set what appeared to be a record score in that in 1982. I submitted it to Video Games (now loooong defunct) magazine as a Polaroid photo but they never ran it. Boo hoo. :cry:

No, you left it in.