A Fallout TV show for some reason

Well that’s the thing. They had a production company, but no money. So they went on this roadshow and apparently were asking for so much that all the finance people balked.

Since Amazon has already signed on to pay for Fallout, this show is going to get made unless something crazy happens.

Yeah, I guess MS was full of shit here.

https://gamerant.com/halo-movie-tv-show-microsoft-finance/

I guess not, it just took them a while to pull it together.

Yep, got a thread for it and everything.

I’ll believe it when I see it, and that’ll still be 8 years, is my point.

Everybody and their grandmother knowing about Fallout ruins part of its appeal. As if the Bethesda sequels didn’t do enough damage already.

I like the Netflix Castlevania show

KiKi Wolfkill went on Gary Whitta’s stream last night and talked about it. 10 episodes were ordered and production was underway, and then pandemic.

I think they can do this and make it good. I mean Fallout is basically a post nuclear apocalypse setting. I don’t get the negativity. Its not that far off from The Walking Dead, just with radioactive critters instead of zombies. As far as the “there has never been a worthwhile TV show based on a video game” thing, perhaps that is true but look at The Expanse. It is actually based on a series of RPG sessions that were eventually turned into novels. That’s a hell of trick to pull of successfully. I’m willing to give Fallout a chance before I dismiss it out of hand.

I’m not sure if the negativity is real though. It’s just funny to imagine if they paid homage to all the ridiculous Fallout bugs. It would be fan service.

I’m cynical because most TV isn’t great, and because Fallout hasn’t been known for its compelling narrative in decades, if it ever was.

It’s a cool setting! It would be cool if someone made a good show in that world, and in some ways its focus on setting over characters gives the show plenty of room to do what it wants.

But I’ll believe it when I see it.

Uh, Bethesda is licensing the game rights to Amazon, not producing the show themselves. I suspect their involvement will be rather minimal, more advisory than anything else.

Blizzard didn’t produce the Warcraft movie, shrug. They just contributed the lore, etc.

So you contradict yourself? :)

If Bethesda, being a game company, outsources a Fallout TV show to people whose profession is making shows, it has as good a shot at being good as many another sci fi property. It’s not really something to worry about either way, unless you have a professional interest in the show’s success.

The first two Fallouts are much darker in tone. I don’t think Bethesda wants that type of show associated with their franchise.

That’s unclear to me. Grimdark is all the rage these days.I could see them going in that direction as easily as going in any other.

They should troll the audience and make the series 76 episodes.

Do Nolan and Joy have time for this? I’d rather have a couple more great Westworld seasons than a couple okay ones and this show. Hopefully everything is excellent, of course.

Doesn’t sound like it’s going into production right away. They are contractually obligated to HBO for another season of Westworld, and they were taking two years to make a season even before the pandemic screwed up everything.